Chapter 10

I awoke slowly. Through the fog I could hear voices speaking quietly. There was a machine beeping steadily somewhere near me. I tried to swallow but my mouth was dry and my throat was aching. My eyes fluttered open. I was no longer in the E.R. They had moved me to another room. Colin was seated in a chair next to me filling out papers that were scattered on a table in front of him. I looked down to see that I was now wearing a hospital gown and my hands and arm were bandaged.

I watched Colin work for several seconds. "Can I get some water?" I whispered. My throat was killing me. He turned to me quickly, surprised that I was awake. "Sure, I'll be right back," he answer and walked quickly out the door. I watched him leave and felt a wave of emotion overtake me. Alex had tried to kill me. I had somehow fought him off and then he had tried to kill Colin and I saved his life. It had all felt like a dream when it was happening. Like it was so twisted, so bizarre, that it had to be a dream.

Colin returned with a jug of water and a policeman followed behind him. "Angela, they need a formal statement of what happened," he said as I took the water. Drinking it was painful. The officer sat down with a pen and paper and waited patiently for me to begin.

I told him everything from start to finish. The aggressive conversation, his angry demeanor at my direct responses, and finally his attack. Colin's eyes never left me as I spoke even as I could tell he was clearly uncomfortable and angry. He scribbled in his notebook for several minutes after I was finished and when he closed it and stood to leave I grabbed his arm. I couldn't believe I had forgotten. "Julie!" I gasped. Colin's eyes grew wide. He had forgotten too. "My roomate, Julie. Alex had been with her. We need to find her!" I was on the verge of hysterics now. Julie had been my best friend for over ten years and if something happened to her I didn't know what I would do. She'd seen me through the death of my grandmother and the very ugly break up with my ex. I needed her.

"Where was she seen last?" The officer asked quickly pulling his radio from his belt. "The Best Western Hotel. Room 1224," I answered, pushing the bed sheets down so I could stand up. As the officer made his radio report Colin took my hands in his. "We need to check out of the hospital first. It won't take long but we need to wait," I started to argue but he stopped me. "We need the officers to check first. It's safer for everyone that way," his voice had a calming effect on me. He was right. I couldn't risk myself again. I didn't have the strength to go another round with Alex the Psycho.

The officer said his goodbyes and he left leaving Colin and I alone. "I'm filling out your discharge papers now and once I'm done you can change back into your other clothes. I nodded and looked down at my hospital gown. "Who undressed me?" I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

He chuckled softly. "The nurses. Don't worry, love, your virtue is still intact," I blushed and stood slowly. "Where are you going?" he asked. "I need to use the bathroom," I answered, pulling my IV drip with me. "Do you need help?" He asked and I glared at him. Even if I did need help I couldn't ask him. Not for something like this. Yuck. He smiled and shook his head and returned to the paperwork.

I returned minutes later to see him stacking the papers neatly. He was finished. I went to sit on the bed and he turned to me. "I need to take your IV out and then you can get dressed and we can go," I nodded and gave him my hand. He untaped the needle and gently pulled it out of my vein using a cotton ball to keep pressure on the area. He put a band-aid on me and I sat back. He made quick work of disposing the needle and then brought me my clothes. I picked them up and made my way back into the bathroom. I dressed slowly learning to be careful around my arm which was stinging any time it was brushed. After several more minutes I was ready to leave the bathroom.

Colin was waiting patiently and texting on his phone. "Who are you talking to?" I asked softly. "My mother. I just told her what happened and we're going to stay there for a while,". I nodded. "Alex has disconnected his phone," Colin said as he stood. I shivered. The police wouldn't be able to trace or locate his phone if it was off. Colin stood and pulled me to him. I was feeling fragile and tense and I didn't want to cry in front of him. I rested my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. "Don't worry, Angela. They'll find him," he murmured. Taking a deep breath I swallowed my growing anxiety. Julie was out there somewhere and there was nothing I could do but wait.

Colin walked me out to his car and helped me in. After he sat down he paused before turning the car on. He turned to me as if to say something but no words left his mouth. I was full of questions but he didn't know where to start and neither did I. Without a word he started the car and pulled out of the hospital parking lot.

"Does Alex know where your parents live?" I asked. I watched him think for several beats before he answered. "No, I've never taken him there. They've not lived there long. Only about two years,".  I sighed with relief and relaxed into my seat. 

After several miles Colin began talking.  "I think you'll like my parents," he started, telling me about their careers and relationship.  He loved them.  It was a bit alien to me that people could have a positive relationship with their parents.  It was comforting.  I think I love him. 

That final thought was like a hard slap.  Why did I think that?  I barely know him.  I looked over at him.  He was still talking but I had no idea what he was saying.  He was beautiful.  Physically, he was everything I could find sexy. Dark brown hair, long enough for my fingers to tangle in, brown eyes so dark I could get lost in them for days, skin that was tanned from the sun, and lips that I now had to sit on my hand to keep from reaching out and stroking.  He was perfect.  I wanted to have sex with him.  I wanted him to be my first and only.  I loved him.

He quickly turned to me.  I couldn't look away.  Those eyes had locked on me.  They were so beautiful. 
"Did you say something?" He asked.  I thought for a moment.  Did I?  I don't think so.  I shrugged and smiled.  He smiled back.  "The meds you're on might affect your mood a bit," he said and lifted my hand to his lips and kissed me.  My heart felt fluttery.  This surely wasn't the meds making me feel this way and if it was then so be it.  This was the happiest I'd been in such a long time.  "You're still staring at me," he said, glancing at me then back at the road.  I couldn't help myself.  "I like the way you look," I said, still not taking my eyes off him.  He chuckled and shook his head. 

"We're almost there," he said and I tore my eyes from him and looked outside.  We were turning down a dirt road and there was a ranch-style house in the distance.  We finally parked in front and Colin got out of the car.  I watched him walk to my side and he opened the door for me.  He helped me to stand and as soon as he closed the door behind me I reached up and pulled his face down to meet mine.  It was the first time I had initiated a kiss and he responded.  I opened my mouth and he deepened the kiss with his tongue.  He pushed me back, pinning me to the car with his hard body.  I wanted him desperately.  My fingers tangled in his hair and I could feel him harden against my stomach.  His hands were everywhere.  One pressing me against the car, keeping me still, the other was reaching into my pants.  I gasped as he found my core and I could hear him groan.  He deepened the kiss as he began to stroke me.  I began to tremble as he continued his merciless torture.  No man had ever touched me there.  I whimpered when he stopped but gasped again as his finger slowly entered me. He broke the kiss to rest his head on my shoulder.

"Colin, please. Please!"