Chapter 9

I watched as the door rattled and could see the wood begin to splinter as he attempted to kick through.  This door seemed to be slightly stronger than the bedroom door.  The door jolted again and I knew he was using his shoulder now and it looked like the door was going to give in on the next attempt or two.  I tried to calm my breathing and get ready for the fight of my life.

The door burst through and I was sprayed with pieces of broken wood.  He came crashing through and lost his balance on the way ending up sprawled on the floor.  I took this chance to jump out of the bathroom and lurched towards the door. He moved his foot and tripped me.  I brought my hands down in time to save my face from the floor but my hands weren't spared from the cutting pain of the splintered wood. 

I hurriedly looked down to see him sitting up and reaching for my foot. I pulled my legs in and jumped to my feet. I rushed out of the bathroom and heard him roar with anger at my retreat. I ran through the kitchen. I didn't want a weapon I just wanted out of this flat. Finally making it to the living room I reached for the door knob to see it begin to turn. The door slowly opened and I saw Colin standing there. His face changed suddenly when taking in my appearance. I dimly heard the sound of rushing feet behind me and I was suddenly losing my balance and falling towards the couch. Colin had pushed me hard out of Alex's harmful grasp. I landed on my hands and knees, my hands stinging from the splinters that were still embedded in them.

Looking up I saw Alex had Colin on the ground with the knife in between them pointing to Colin's throat.  Both of their hands were on it.  I could see that Colin was losing his grip.  I sprang into action running and kicking Alex in the head. He rolled off Colin and back onto his feet, barely dazed. He refocused his attention on me. 

Alex lunged at me with the knife.  I jumped away but not before my arm was sliced by the knife.  Colin was up on his feet by now and barreled into him from behind.  Alex was pushed out of the open front door that Colin then closed and locked him out.  He found his phone on the floor.  "My girlfriend and I have just been attacked please send the police,". He spoke for several more seconds giving Alex's full name and our address.  He hung up and turned to me.  A look of alarm crossed his face and he pulled me to the kitchen sink. 

He turned the water on and held his hand out to me.  I looked at him blankly.  "Your arm is bleeding," he said softly.  It took several seconds for his words to register.  I looked down at my arm.  It had been sliced horizontally halfway between my wrist and my elbow and there was blood dripping down from my fingertips.  It didn't even hurt.  I looked back at him and he pulled me by my good arm  to the sink. 

He took my hurt arm and carefully put it under the water.  He cleaned the blood from my hand and around the wound.  "You're going to need stitches and we're going to need to get all of these splinters out," he said after examining me.  He walked away towards the living room.  I looked out the kitchen window.  It was a beautiful day outside.  He was back a few moments later with a First Aid Kit.  He pulled my arm from the running water and carefully dried and wrapped my arm in a gauze. 

There was a hard knock at the door and I gasped.  "Police! Open up!" A stern voice commanded through the door.  Colin walked over to the door, checked through the peep hole, and opened the door.  Two policemen walked in and assessed the state of the flat.  Colin was speaking to them quietly.  I resumed looking out the window.