The Need For Speed

"'Find the area of a circle with a diameter of 3 1/2 feet with a formula of A = pi times r squared'."

"Oh, man, I could really go for some pie."

Cas and Dean were in the bedroom studying math. And it wasn't going very well.

"Dean, you need to focus. Math is important."

"What's the point? We have calculators for a reason."

Cas sighed. "If you wanna pass your class, you need to know this stuff. I bet you don't even know what pi is."

"Of course I do. It's a delicious dessert that comes in flavors such as blueberry, pumpkin, apple, cherry-"

"Dean!" Cas interrupted.

"What?"

"Not that kind of pie."

Dean sighed, laying on his back. "But that's the only kind of pie I care about!"

Cas sighed as well. "I know it's difficult, but you need to pass this class."

"It's like you care more than me."

"I just don't wanna see you fail."

"I'm not gonna fail, Pumpkin."

"Hey! No Pumpkin!"

Dean grinned. "I'll be fine."

"Dean, you have a 68!"

"And if you look at it-"

"I swear to god, if you say 'objectively', I will kick your ass!" Cas snapped.

"Hey, I was not gonna say that!"

Cas raised an eyebrow. "Really? What were you gonna say then?"

Dean paused, coming up with his words. "I... was gonna say... subjectively."

"Subjectively?"

"Yeah! Totally! Now... do we really have to do math?"

Cas sighed deeply. "Dean, I want to help you succeed. I can't help you if you don't cooperate."

"But, Cas, it's math. Me and math? Not on the best of terms."

"Well get over it and find the area of this damn circle!"

Dean kissed Cas's cheek. "I'll be fine, Cas. Besides, I need a 70 or higher to pass, and with this test coming up, surely I can rack up those two little points no problem."

Cas gave him an incredulous look. "Test?"

"Yeah, just a little test. I'll do fine, Pumpkin, I promise."

"You have a test coming up? When?"

"Friday, I think. Why?"

"This changes everything! We need to study for the test! Do you know what's gonna be in it?"

Dean thought for a moment. "Um... math."

"Anything specific, brainiac?"

"Hey, don't you sass me!"

"Oh, Im'ma sass you till the cows come home. We need to study, Dean!"

"Cas, life doesn't just revolve around math, y'know."

"Um, in a way, it kinda does."

"You know what I mean," He entwined Cas's fingers with his own. "Have you ever heard the poem called 'I Was Dying'?"

Cas squinted his eyes in confusion. "No. Why?"

"It goes like this. 'First I was dying to finish high school and start college. And then I was dying to finish college and start working. And then I was dying to marry and have children. And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough for school so I could return to work. And then I was dying to retire. And now, I am dying... and suddenly I realize I forgot to live.'"