Chapter XIII: Reincarnation

The Sun was shining brightly as Shinji came up to Mio was who already waiting for him, with them promptly embracing each other and kissing each other.

"Glad you could make it, Shinji!" said Mio, smiling.

"I hope you haven't been waiting long. I went here as fast as I could."

"I wasn't. And besides, it's so nice outside today. There's no harm in standing in the sunshine."

"Good. Now then, I think it's time I reveal what I planned for us."

"Hehe, what is it~?"

"...If you would look over there..."

Shinji pointed at a small boat which looked like it could fit exactly two people facing each other.

"You reserved a boat for us?" said Mio, surprised.

"Yup. We can ride out into the waters here. I thought it would make for an unusual place to take one out on a date for, but I know you like exploring new places and admiring the scenery."

"That's thoughtful of you, and I'm already excited! But how are we going to move the boat?"

"There are paddles on it, I'll use them to move the boat."

"Okay! So... ready to start our date?"

"I am! Let's get settled into the boat then if you're ready as well."

The two boarded the boat and Shinji unanchored it. It was both their first time being out on a boat, but they both seemed excited. Shinji paddled the boat slowly onto the waters, giving them a nice view and comfortable silence, as nothing but water surrounded them.

"It's so serene and tranquil out here."

"Yeah... I can see from here I wouldn't usually see otherwise."

"Look, I can see some fish below our boat! Aren't they adorable?"

"I can't see them that well... But I imagine they are."

They gazed off into the distance for a while.

"You know... This dress suits you the most, Mio."

"Really? But they're just my casual clothes..."

"That's why they charm me the most. To be honest, I'm not the guy that needs to see a new dress on the person I adore or a new fancy restaurant."

"I'm glad you like it. And honestly, I feel the same way. Just like I want to see you every day, I don't need new material things to make me happy. But when you take me out on something like this, it makes me happy beyond words..."

"That makes me happy too. You make my day brighter with your beacon of light, even when the Sun isn't there."

"Shinji... I love you."

"I love you too, Mio."

The two leaned closer to each other and stared into each other's eyes before sharing a long, passionate kiss. At that moment, the Sun cast a sunray on their boat, outlining their display of affection. When they pulled away and opened their eyes, they blushed.

"We should go back now... We've spent a while here. Mana must be getting lonely!"

"You're right. I'm on it, Captain Mio!"

Mio giggled. Shinji started paddling back towards land.

"Thank you for taking me out here, Shinji. This date was a lot of fun."

"Oh yeah, it definitely was. I won't forget it."

***

"Target spotted, Isaac! They're returning to dock!" said Ellen. She was accompanied with very well geared men carrying protective gear and assault rifles.