Chapter VII: In a New World

Shinji and Mana were still unable to establish contact with their parents, but they didn't give up on the hope that they'd eventually succeed. Mana especially refused to accept a fact like that, so she spent a lot of time trying to figure out her parent's whereabouts.

It didn't help a lot of people were panicking, complicating such efforts in the whole country.

Shinji figured out the girl couldn't speak any language, so he decided to teacher her a bit of Japanese for her own good. He discovered the girl didn't know what home meant either, but he still wondered why she was in the streets collapsed knee-deep in rain.

As time passed however, the girl learnt quickly, eventually learning a few phrases and mannerisms. Shinji then finally decided to take her outside with him on a walk to a store so she could get used to outside the house, which she refused to leave up until now.

***

Shinji walked into Mana's room. She was on the computer, browsing through the news.

"Any luck?" asked Shinji.

"No... Too many people are missing, it's impossible to anything or anyone like this."

"You should take a break, Mana. They won't return faster the more time you spend searching."

"I'll take a break after I'm done," said Mana before turning to face Shinji.

"And do you not care? They're your parents too."

"Of course I care about them deeply, but I care about you too. You need to relax and stop straining yourself like this," said Shinji. Mana then turned back to face the screen.

"I'll try," responded Mana.

Shinji left the room to go downstairs where the girl he rescued was. She turned to face him.
"Morning," said the girl. Her voice was soft and calming, while not being too quiet.

"Good morning," responded Shinji.

"You're learning Japanese like a natural."

The girl smiled.

"Thanks. You are a natural too."

Shinji giggled when Mana almost repeated after him.

"I had an idea on mind. How about we go outside today?" asked Shinji. The girl was once again not so willing.

"Why? Outside is bad. I like it here more," said the girl, nervous.

"I understand, but you can't not go outside ever. Besides, the weather's nice today. You'll like it," said Shinji. The girl was sceptical, but trusted Shinji.

"Okay... If you say so," said the girl, giving up on protesting. Shinji smiled and helped her prepare. He gave her some of his own and some of Mana's clothes to wear. As he did so, he remembered to thank Mana again later for lending them.

He waited for Mana by the entrance, eventually meeting her eye. Since the day he found her, she looked enormously better. She was wearing a light sweater with a zipper, a pink shirt, and shorts. Her long hair was tied with a ribbon at the end, forming one large strand. Accompanied with her warm smile, Shinji couldn't help but be mesmerized. She looked like a different person.