Chapter I: Wand & Sword

It is in the twenty first century where this story begins, beyond and amongst the seven seas and mountains where nations prosper and thrive. Where humanity far exceeded the expectations of all, with technology we would think unthinkable. Picture a futuristic airship, centre for command or first-aid stations capable of healing grave wounds.

However, futuristic technology is not all this world can boast of, with mages leaving fairy tales and joining reality under the title of Magus. Unlike fairy tales though, these exceptional humans had to live in their own secluded communities, as they represent what humans fear the most. Difference, the unknown, abnormality.

But in this story, we will focus only on one specific village in which the vaunted Magus lived in, located in the United Kingdom in England. It is here where a grand tale begins, one filled with tragedy and beauty. But before one can see grandeur, one must see the prelude.

As we arrive before the gates of this village, we can see a boy and a girl conversing.

"How do you fare?" asked the boy.

"Wonderful!" replied the girl. "But there's something I want to show you, follow me!"

The girl then grabbed the boy's arm and led him away from the village towards a nearby hill. Once they reached it, the girl pointed to the skies.

"Look, from here I saw countless stars on the—" the girl froze. "Ah! They're gone!"

The boy shook his head.

"The stars? It would be no wonder since they only appear during night-time."

"Really? But I wanted to show them to you... There were so many colours and sizes of them to see!" said the girl with a disappointed look on her face.

Not wanting to see the girl sad, the boy came up with an idea. "Then how about we come during night-time? Even though it's forbidden for us to do that, we could... Wait, you snuck out to see them, didn't you?" said the boy with a sharp expression.

"Maybe... Okay, I did, but please don't tell anyone! After all, can you blame me for wanting to bear witness to such beauty?"

Perplexed by the girl's words, the boy could only muster to say a few words. "I suppose not..."

***

At night-time of the same day, the boy sneaks out of his home after his parents check to confirm he's asleep. Under the cloak of darkness, he makes his way to the girl's home. However, she's nowhere to be seen.

"Where is she? I hope she didn't forget about our meeting..."

Suddenly, a figure comes out of the shadows and jumps at the boy.

"Boo! Ha-ha, got you!" it's the girl wearing a mischievous grin on her face. However, the boy has barely flinched at this point.

"Yes, yes you have... Shall we get going now?" responded the boy.

"Of course! Let's go!" said the girl while smiling.

"Just don't let the villagers catch you..." muttered the boy before they set off.

Through the sheer agility of youth, the two made it out of the village and unto the hill, from which they watched the countless stars on the night sky.

"Aren't they just so beautiful?" said the girl in awe.

"There are so many..." responded the boy, he too in awe at the sheer amount of the stars.

A while passed before the girl started talking again.

"Mom and dad said you're almost ready for the Magus trials... You're almost an adult!

"My parents told me that too. However, I don't see the catch with this whole adult thing..."