Chapter 5.

I sat down behind Bob and Phoenix who were sitting in the first row.
There were only two seats per row in our classroom, which meant that I couldn't sit next to them.
I took out my notes and my pencil, so I could write important things down.
"Good morning, Phantom", Rooster said as he sat down next to me.
I looked around to see if any other seats were available. Unfortunately, the only ones that were free was the one next to me or next to Hangman.
"Morning", I answered and wrote todays date on my paper.
"With what is Maverick gonna torture us today?", Rooster asked as he took out a paper and a pen as well.
"I know as much as you know, Rooster", I answered.

"Good morning aviators", Maverick greeted us as he entered the room.
His eye bags implied that he hasn't had a good night sleep. He seemed uncomfortable too.
It seemed as though no one else besides me noticed.
"Phase one of the mission will be a low- level ingress attacking in two-plane teams, as well as two single planes", he explained.
That meant that it would come down between Hangman, Rooster, Coyote and me for the two single aircrafts since the admiral told us that Maverick wasn't gonna fly himself.

"There are Radar-guided surface-to-air missiles that defend the area. These SAMS, they're lethal. But they were designed to protect the skies above, not the canyon below.",he explained.
Behind him was an image of the canyons and our planned flying route.
"That's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try and fly below them", Rooster said what I thought out loud.
"But that's exactly what we are gonna do. On the day, your altitude will be 100 feet. Maximum", he explained.
"What?", I whispered.
Rooster looked at me when he noticed that I was starting to feel nervous.
"You exceed this altitude, the radar will spot you and you'll be dead. Your airspeed will be 660 knots. Minimum", he continued.
Everyone was shocked about what he just said.
Everyone except of Hangman, who was peacefully chewing on the toothpick in his mouth.
This had to be an act or he is totally insane.
"Time to target: two and a half minutes. That's because fifth-generation fighters wait an airbase nearby. In a head-to-head with these planes in your F-18s, your dead. That's why you need to get in, hit your target and be gone before these planes even have a chance of catching you", he warned us.
"Welcoming", I whispered sarcastically.
Rooster giggled and wrote everything down that Maverick just said.
"You shouldn't underestimated the g forces that are gonna hit you",he reminded us.

"We're gonna start easy today. Max ceiling: 300 feet. Time to target: Three minutes", he announced and we went outside to our aircrafts.
"Easy", I heard Bob mocking him.
-
The sharp turns combined with the g forces made me feel like the skin on my face was about to peel off.
I felt my eyes getting heavier and I was feeling more nauseous with every turn.
"We are too slow Coyote", I informed him so he would go a little faster.
"Copy", he answered.
Suddenly, something felt off.
"Shit. Shit. Shit", I heard Coyotes voice through my headphone.
"what's wrong?", I asked when all of the sudden Coyote hit his brakes and almost crashed into my aircraft.
I pulled my plane up and heard sirens because I went over the max altitude.
My heart was racing.
We were inches away from a collision.
"What the fuck. What was that Coyote?", I said with an angry voice.
"I'm sorry, phantom. My fault", he apologized.
"You alright?", I asked.
"Yes, you?", he asked back.
"Yes but that was a close one", I said as my voice was still a bit shaky.
"Coyote and Phantom, please report back to the airbase", a voice informed us.
"Great", I whispered since I knew we're about to get a lecture.
-
"Why are they dead?", Maverick asked around.
"I slowed down and didn't give her a warning. It was my fault", Coyote explained.
"Was there a reason you didn't communicate with Phantom?", Maverick looked very angry at him.
Not communicating was not only a stupid but very dangerous mistake, that shouldn't be happening to an experienced pilot. But Coyote knew that.
"Do you have an excuse Coyote? One that her family will accept at her funeral?", he said.
"Why didn't you anticipate the turn? You were briefed on the terrain?", he continued and when I was about to answer, he cut me off.
"Don't tell me. Write it in your last will"
"And you Rooster, why were you going that slow?", Maverick was in rage.
"He was the only one that made it to the target", I tried to defend him.
"You put your team in danger and gave the bandits time to kill your wingman", he pointed his finger at Rooster.
Roosters face was turning red and I could see that he was clenching his jaw.
"Come down", I whispered but he ignored me.
"You ain't got a chance against these fifth generation fighters", Maverick yelled.

"It's not the plane sir. It's the pilot", Rooster answered with a smile on his face.
"Exactly!", he cut him off.
Rooster looked at Maverick in complete disbelief.
I knew that he was thinking about his father.
His face went down and he closed his eyes.
Maverick looked like he regretted what he just said.

"Oh, come on thats not the time to be thinking about the past", Hangman giggled.
"What's thats supposed to mean", Rooster asked when I could her the anger in his voice.
"Rooster", I said and took his hand so that he would calm down.
"I can't be the only one that knows that Phantoms father, Maverick, flew with your old man, Rooster", he said as he looked straight at him while he was starting to shake from rage.
"That's enough", Maverick yelled.
"Or that Maverick was flying when his old man-", Hangman said but before he could finish the sentence, Rooster jumped of his seat to go after him.
"Rooster", I screamed and tried to hold him back.
"That's why you shouldn't just let anyone in an aircraft, right?", Hangman laughed.

I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins.
"You son of a bitch", I said as I punched Hangman right in his face.
He held his hands in front of his nose to catch the blood which was coming out of it.
Even tough me and Maverick weren't on our best terms, I couldn't let Hangman disrespect him and goose like that.
I could hear Rooster screaming at Hangman while Bob wrapped his arms around my body to pull me away from him.
"Calm down Phantom", Bob whispered.
"Let me go", I said as I tried to free myself.
"You gotta calm down first", he said very gently while he was still holding me.
"That enough! You're dismissed", Maverick yelled as he got between Hangman and Rooster.
I stopped fighting against Bob and took a deep breath.
"Fucking asshole", I whispered.