Epilogue

Ximena’s P.O.V

Two lines.

No matter how many times I looked away, blinked and refocused my attention on the damned plastic stick, the result remained the same. 

Mierda! This wasn’t supposed to happen. My life had just gotten back to normal and now this. Not that having a child is a curse of anything, but I felt I wasn’t ready to be a mother. And as much as I’d previously emphasized that I wanted 8 children, in hindsight I now see that was a really silly thing to say.

Work was literally stressing me out with the chauvinism I encounter every now and then from clients and some of the people who work in the company and had been used to dad’s way of operation. And as much as I’d like to come of as this bold and confident alpha female, right now I feel like a little toddler lost in the crowd at an amusement park.

How could this have happened. I could have sworn that we used protec-

No, you didn’t. The first time around there was no glove, sweetheart.

Curse that stupid inner voice but the stupid idiot was right. I hadn’t been anticipating to see Adriano that one fateful night and I guess I let my hormones get in the way of my better judgement. In as much as I enjoyed that night, and the many ones to follow, we really weren’t so careful. One of his little swimming friends had definitely swam upstream and hit the target straight on the bullseye.

A knock came to the bathroom door. “Ximena, what are you still doing in there? If you don’t hurry up, we’re both going to be late for work!” Adriano yelled impatiently, causing me to stumble off the toilet seat and haphazardly throw the pregnancy test in the cabinet. Was that a bad hiding spot? Yes. But did I care at the moment? No. I just really didn’t need to be reminded of what I was expecting a couple of months from now.

Pressing the flush button, I went over to the sink and washed my hands with liquid soap. Wiping my hands with a towel, I ruffled my hair around, straightened my shirt and skirt. Once done, I exhaled loudly and opened the door to exit the bathroom. 

In the bedroom, Adriano was standing by the bed typing away on his phone, looking as handsome as ever in a white shirt, black tie, black vest, black slacks and pristine Italian dress shoes. He looked so delectable that for a second, I thought about skipping work with another type of physical activity in mind.

Damn these pregnancy hormones! They’re making me become so wanton.

He looked up at me. “Wow, you were in there forever. These bathroom breaks are becoming a little too frequent. Should we visit a doctor?” he asked and I shook my head vehemently. If we did that, they he’d know right away. Call me crazy, but I was absolutely terrified of telling him. Not that he’d be very angry or anything…but I genuinely had no idea if he was ready for this either.

“I-I’m fine. No need to worry,” I replied shakily and he closed the distance between us. He wrapped his one arm around my waist and used the other one to caress my face.

Those bewitching green eyes still made me weak in the knees. That, or the fact that I hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday afternoon. Eating had become so difficult because I lot of things nauseated me and the morning sickness had begun to take its toll on me. At first, I thought it was the anxiety or a stomach cold but after finally using the pregnancy kit Chelsea had advised me to buy yesterday, I found out that it was neither of the two.

He placed a passionate kiss on my lips, making my insides melt. “I will always worry about you. You think I haven’t noticed but something is up with you. You haven’t been eating much and right now you’re behaving a bit jumpy. Tell me, my spoiled little brat, is something bothering you?” he said softly, and my heart hammered. I shook my head once more and he sighed. “If you say so. Let’s get to work now, we’re already running late.”