Chapter 49

Last night’s dinner with the Pedrads had gone surprisingly well. Just as predicted, they had not idea about what Omar had done to Emilio’s youngest daughter. They were just as angry as he was, he not angrier but they were willing to work things out. It didn’t take much convincing for them to agree to the terms of an arranged marriage, but everything had to be kept hush for the fear of the relentless tabloids. It would be a major blow to both families, since they were both influential and prominent.

As much as the festivities were practically oozing in the air, Emilio couldn’t help but feel the absence of his daughter. He wanted to reject Chelsea’s request for a girl’s night out but alas, Dolores had overridden his voice, saying that she needed to get a life back on track.

The truth was that Emilio was afraid of hearing that she was on the brink of death once again. When he had received a call about her condition months ago…how her life was hanging on by a whisker, he couldn’t bear the pain. Getting involved with the Dos Santos family had been a mistake from the word go. In hindsight, he should have never even considered the absurd deal because it had done nothing but cause him grief. It brought him some kind of relief that that would be over in matter of days and they wouldn’t have to see that damned family again.

Humberto was a snake, but his son was worse. How could he have thought that that imbecile could possibly have committed fully to his daughter? At some point in time, he had really thought that he was in love with Ximena, but it seemed that he was wrong. Not only had he betrayed his daughter’s trust, but he had betrayed Emilio’s trust as well.

“Adriano,” Emilio said as he spotted the young man coming back from where he had disappeared at the wedding venue. “Could I have a word with you?”

Adriano nodded and made his way over to his father-in-law. “Yes sir?”

Emilio motioned towards his daughter who was happily chatting away with her bridesmaids, friends and other family members. She looked so happy and like she didn’t have a care in the world. “You see that smile on my daughter’s face?” he asked, and Adriano nodded his head once more.

“It’s beautiful. She’s beautiful,” he replied, smiling at her as she threw her head back in laughter when somebody said something funny to her.

“You are the reason behind that smile. I’ve noticed that my daughter is smitten by you. And I’d like to continue seeing her this peaceful, joyful and care free. I am entrusting you with her heart, and her life. Now, I know that marriage comes with its trials and errors but if you both work hard enough, you’ll forget through it. This is no longer about the contract. It’s about her,” he stated in his authoritative tone. He grasped Adriano’s shoulder with a steely grip. “If you hurt my daughter, I will not hesitate to end you. Am I understood?” he threatened with a chilly smile.

Adriano looked at him in bewilderment. “I would never hurt her. She doesn’t deserve that,” he told him shakily, swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat.

“Good, then we’re on the same page. Congratulations!” Emilio cheered, before letting the shaken up young man go back to his bride.

Glancing at the clock on his phone, Emilio noticed that it was well past noon and not a word from Ximena. He had already tried to call her several times but she hadn’t been picking up. He was starting to get worried and a headache was beginning to form behind his eyes. Salvador opened the door and walked into his office, bringing him out of his raging thoughts.

“Dad, I need to telling something,”He said as he shut the door and approached his father’s large mahogany desk.

Emilio sighed and reclined in his seat. “What is this about, Salvador? Here to tell me that your girlfriend is pregnant?” he asked sarcastically. That was so unlike him that his son did a double take. Emilio never joked or made sarcastic remarks. He was an all-round serious guy, so the stress he was currently feeling was getting to his mind.