Chapter 30

The day had finally arrived; the day when Ximena would get married to Adriano. When she had gotten back home around 2 AM, falling asleep was difficult; party because she wasn’t used to going to bed at that hour and mostly because she was anticipating today so much. Her bachelorette party was so exhilarating, she had no idea it was possible to have so much fun. It was held at one of the most expensive hotels in Florida and it was a pool party. Honestly, she had been skeptical about it at first but once she got there, she led her worries slip away. It helped that she was surrounded by good company; her best friend and her supermodel friends. Never in her life had she seen so many beautiful people all in one place.

But it was now all behind her; what lay ahead was more exciting in her opinion. It’s funny how her view of things had taken a total 180, from reluctant to eager. It was purely outrageous but she didn’t care at all. Nothing could possibly ruin this day for her.

“What’s that smile about?” her hairstylist, Mya Henson, asked. Ximena was currently seated in her mother’s bedroom getting her hair and make-up done by one of the best stylists in the entire country. How her mother had gotten her was still a mystery.

Her smile only grew wider. “Nothing,” she chuckled and then bit her lip. Mya shot her a knowing look through her reflection in the mirror as she continued to do her French braid.

“You’re in love.” Ximena froze in her chair. “I can see it in your eyes. It’s practically radiating off you in waves,” she affirmed.

In love? Was she really in love?

She didn’t get to ponder much on it when the door burst open and in strolled Dolores. She was already dressed for the wedding in a precious dark orange long sleeved, off the shoulder gown studded with sequins and her feet were clad in four-inch gold Louis Vuitton pumps. Her jet-black her was up in an intricate do, with her hair glossy and styled to the side. Overall, she looked so stunning. “Ah, you’re looking so beautiful Ximena. Are you done yet Mya? The bride needs to be ready by 11. We need to drive to the venue which is like on the other side of town. Why did we have to choose a place so far away again?” she rambled in frustration and both Mya and Ximena just laughed.

“I’m just adding the finishing touches. Don’t worry Mrs. Dos Ramos, the bride will be just in time for her wedding,” she assured her as she began to add some hairspray to Ximena’s hair. Prior to that, Mya had done her make-up so all that was left was putting on her dress, shoes and tiara.
Dolores came to stand behind her daughter and looked at her reflection. Her eyes became teary. Ximena stood up and turned to her mother, all of a sudden worried by her change in demeanor. “Mum, what’s wrong?” she asked taking Dolores’ hands in hers.

Mya took that as her queue to step out, wanting to give the two some privacy. “It’s just that this whole situation is so messed up. You deserve so much better than this…an arranged marriage,” Dolores cried, looking down at her toes.

“Mum,” Ximena gushed and then hugged her mother. “It’s okay mum. It’s not your fault. Everything is going to be alright, don’t cry.”

“Because you love him?” and then Ximena froze again. What was with everyone saying that? She was not in love with him…was she?

“I know you are, mi amor. I have noticed how you’ve changed over the past couple of weeks,” her mother added and she immediately let go of her. Ximena couldn’t quite look her mother in the eye anymore. The room suddenly started to spin a bit.

Who was she kidding? Of course, she was in love with Adriano Dos Santos! It was pretty obvious but she couldn’t quite wrap her head around how and when it had happened. It was quick, clean and hard. That would explain why she smiled every time she thought of him and whenever he was around, she felt all jittery and excited. She just didn’t know how she hadn’t realized it sooner.