Chapter 25

Art by Aliviviri on Twitter

(This chapter is going to seem like it's moving fast because it is- I just don't know how to make it longer and I'm too lazy for details-)

Mother took me to a room that was almost like my second bedroom. The sleepless nights, the burns, scrapes, and potions I've made seemingly endlessly. It was unchanged, structurally, but changed by the contents inside. Most bottles were swapped, books reorganized, added, removed, lights replaced, and the crows locked in cages vanished as well. The cauldron was the same as well.

The potion room. I've been here months ago, but I wasn't focused on the room, but on my decision. I was focused on the potion and my friends.

A heard keys click in place and see mother opening a door at the back of the room. For years I had always wondered what lay beyond the door. Now that the opportunity arose, I was afraid to look. Like it was holding a horrendous secret. Maybe it had the body of my grandma?

Mother opened the door and pushed it open. Kamryana tilted her head and I followed after mother. We entered another room. This one was larger, with a singular pod of green submerged inside the flooring. The liquid glowed green as it swirled like metallic water-colored paint mixed with neon green.

"What is this room, Mother?" Kamryana asked. She was curiously looking around as I was. Had she never been here either?

"The regression room. Now come here, Y/n."

Mother sat at a table a few feet from the pool. Shuffling around the pool, I sat across from her. She slid a paper into my view. A blood contract. I read over the contents.

I hated reading contracts, but they were important. If you missed any key detail, they can come back to bite you.

I paused, reread one of the conditions, and gave Mother back the contract. "I am this child's mother. Once they are brought into the world they will be leaving with me when the deal is done."

Mother furrowed her brows and snapped her fingers to make a quill appear in black smoke to start writing down a whole new contract. "How about I keep the child until the deal has been completed?"

I glared at her. How dare she suggest such a thing is better? "My baby is staying with me. I will be taking care of them. Deal or no deal."

Mother crossed her legs and continued to write the contract. "I'm giving you a chance. I am gracious enough to write a contract and edit it. I don't have to do this. I can just forcefully keep you alive with never-ending healing spells and force-feeding. I'm giving you the chance to leave. All that depends on is how long it takes you to complete the potion I am asking for... You're too blind to see what is lying before you, dear." She slides the newly written contract in front of me.

Just in case she has written down anything new I went over the new contract. I as much as I wanted to skim through it, that would be stupid. She might've snuck some ridiculous clause somewhere in all these boring words.

I look back up at Mother. "I'll only sign if you give me the first month after my baby is born. After that month if I still have not completed the potion then you may take them away until I leave." She nodded. "And when I'm given my baby back, I do not want you to give me some other random child or a clay dummy. I want my flesh and blood unharmed."

She narrows her eyes and takes the paper. "I can heal the injuries, but I can't promise-"

I slammed my hand on the table. "You will not harm my baby! If I found out you experimented with my baby I'll-"