prologue

"How is it looking Athena?", I asked while I flew next to her plane.
I looked over to the cockpit.
"Looking clear Phantom", I heard my wingman's voice going through the speakers while she looked over to me.

Every time after the mission was done I enjoyed the view from up here. In thousands of meters in the sky where nothing but the clear sky meets the eye, everything seems so peaceful.
No matter how the weather was up here its always sunny.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about needing an umbrella.
A few moments ago we were in a battle against a war criminal who flew to Albania. He was responsible for over 1000 deaths and the government was trying to get him for the past 3 months.
"Phantom, no need for stuns next time", I heard her speaking.
"Sorry I needed to take a look at this fuckers face", I responded.
I heard her laughing and when I looked at her she was shaking her head.
I knew that I was going into trouble for the maneuver I just did.
"Dagger 0ne and dagger two, please report back to base", a voice told us and we flew back.
-
"Are you out of your mind?", the captain yelled at me.
I just stood there and looked at him.
You don't talk back to a captain.
"Going inverted over the air craft of one of the most wanted war criminal to I quote 'take a look at this fuckers face?'", he continued yelling.
I heard Athena who was standing right behind me giggling at how the captain quoted me.
"I'm sorry sir.", I apologized while I couldn't hold back a grin.
"I knew you were trouble when I saw your last name. Your old man is just like you", he explained while he was going through a few papers that were on his desk.
My grin disappeared when he mentioned my father.
We haven't spoken for a long time. Ever since he tried to hold me and Rooster, a friend who I grew up with back from flight school. We still attended just a few years later.
It took us 4 years to get the papers Maverick was holding back.
4 years were practically stolen from us.
I haven't spoken to Rooster since we graduated as well.
Him and I grew apart because he started to make a competition out of everything.
I hated him for that.
We knew each other for so long. We grew up together but his ego screwed it up.

"I'm glad they are sending you away, I just think that they haven't thought their decision through", the captain said while handing me a paper.
And there it was.
In capital letters.

TOP GUN

My eyes lit up.
"They are in need of pilots that graduated at Top gun",he continued.
It was about 1.5 years ago. It was a hell of a competition. I was second placed. I remember the pilot that took first place. He had the biggest ego I have ever seen and couldn't shut up about how great he was. I was fine with being second best. I just hated that he got the first place. His name was Hangman.
"You're dangerous Phantom. Have a nice flight. You're dismissed", he said.
I nodded and left the room.