8

"What the..." Daniella almost cursed but restrained herself. She was on a flying lap and both she and her team were certain that she would have qualified P3 but because the Red Bull of Sergio Perez crashed the yellow flag was pulled out and the drivers had to slow down.

"And that's P6," Nate informed her as she crossed the chequered flag.

It was clear by the fans' reaction that Max is on pole.

"So close Nate," Daniella mumbled.

"I know, Dani. It's a bit of bad luck but we will make it count tomorrow," Nate replied.

***

"Daniella, you only managed to qualify P6. I am sure you are not happy with that and we will get to it but first, can we talk about the sweet proposal from yesterday?" The interviewer asked the Mercedes driver.

"No, we cannot," Daniella shot the interviewer a fake smile.

"But..."

"I am sure you have a few questions for me regarding quali and other drivers to interview, I really would hate to waste everyone's precious time by talking about something that shouldn't have happened," Daniella politely yet firmly said.

The interviewer, along with everyone who was within earshot distance was taken aback.

"Yes.. Umm.. You are right," The interviewer slightly stuttered. "Umm... Do you think it will be a tough race for you tomorrow since you will be starting from P4 and your boyfriend and both the Ferraris are ahead of you?"

Daniella felt more annoyed after hearing the question. She didn't like how it was phrased and how instead of saying Max's name the interviewer referred to him as her boyfriend. Daniella wished she could break professionalism and answer the question.

"I don't expect it to be easy tomorrow," Daniella replied. "Max, Charles, and Carlos are all amazing drivers and all of us will be fighting for the win. It's..."

"Do you think you have the pace to fight for the win?"

"We will find out tomorrow," Daniella forced a smile.

"One last question," The interviewer said just as Daniella was about to leave. "Do you regret leaving Red Bull now that they are faster than Mercedes?"

"Not even for a second," Daniella replied before walking away, making a mental note to avoid this particular interviewer from now on.

"You won't believe how relieved I am that you didn't tear his head off," Myra let out a deep breath as they both made their way to the motorhome.

"Trust me, I wanted to."

**********

It was race day and the paddock was busy. There was still some time to start getting ready for the race as it was fairly early. Daniella sat inside Mercedes hospitality with a cold coffee and was having a nice conversation with her boss and race engineer.

All three of them were somewhat hopeful as the car seems to run well on this particular track.

"This just came for you," One of the Mercedes employees came over and handed a white box to Daniella.

"Another proposal?" Toto joked as Daniella took the box, looking confused.

"I hope not," the driver suddenly got nervous but when the delicious smell hit her nose she eased down.