-19-

"Can I tell you a secret?"

"Of course, anything."

Sarah paused for dramatic effect.  "I'm scared of heights."

They lay on the hotel bed, side-by-side, sides pressed together, staring up at the ceiling. 

"Okay."

She turned her head to look at him.  "But, flying? I'm kinda dating a pilot..."

He chuckled.  "Yes, you are. A Lieutenant Commander in the navy, to be exact. That's fine, we don't have to go-"

"But I want to go with you, I really do! I want to face my fear! I just wanted to let you know."

"Thank you for telling me. And only if you're sure - don't worry, we won't do anything fancy, just up and down."

"Sounds good." There was a moment of comfortable, content silence before she spoke again.  "You ever had sex in a plane?"

He snorted with laughter. "No, can't say I have."

"Sounds like it would be difficult."

"Yeah, you'd have to get creative..."

"Well, I'm a scientist so I love experimenting." She winked.

He laughed, pulling her close and kissing her. "God, I love you."

"And I love you." Then, suddenly she gasped.

"What?"

"My call sign!"

"Your call sign?"

"Yeah, I never told you! When you ran into Carole, Charlie and I that night at the O, we were giving each other call signs - well, giving me one cause I was the only one without one."

He smiled. "And? What should I call you?"

"Sarah 'Fire' Coleman."

"'Fire' I like it."

"Yup," she stated proudly.  "'Fire and Ice'." She winked. 

"'Fire and Ice'. I like that too. We're quite a team, Fire."

"Yes, we are, Ice."

They stayed in bed for a little while longer - okay, a while longer - before Tom said they'd better get going to the hangar.

His friend was away currently, but Tom had called ahead and had permission to use the hangar and planes. He had it all planned out. 

The aircraft was a 1950s propellor plane. Tom helped Sarah up into the co-pilot's seat before taking his seat next to her as pilot. He passed her a headset and put one on himself.  

"Dr. Coleman this so your pilot speaking," came his voice through the headset. "Can you hear me okay?"

"Yes! Can you hear me?"

"I can." He was smiling, but she could tell he was wincing as well.

"Sorry!" she lowered her voice.  "Was I screaming?"

"A little, but no worries." His chuckle rumbled through the headset and sent shivers up and down her whole body.    "We are clear for lift-off."

Sarah's stomach dropped as they left the ground - but she knew her pilot was in full control and she trusted him completely.

They flew the first little ways in silence, she staring jaw-agape down around them. They were gliding along and it actually felt quite calming.