Chapter Twenty-Six

Eventually, after much dancing, they get the tree up. Sophie drags a chair from her table over to the tree, and climbs on top of it. She carefully places the star on the top of the peak. Jack plugs the whole tree in, and it fills the flat with a warm glow.

She walks up to the fireplace, and hangs each of the stockings on the front. While she does that, Jack hangs the wreath on the door.

Once the flat is fully decorated, Sophie flops onto the couch. Jack sits down next to her, and almost immediately she places her head on his shoulder. He wraps an arm around her, and just holds her in an awkward one armed hug for a moment.

Then she pops back up, and heads back over toward the telly. Turning to him she holds up a DVD case, a grin on her face. "The Santa Clause," she states. Jack raises an eyebrow, "What? It's a classic!"

He raises his hands in surrender, "I didn't say anything."

She points a finger at him, "Your face did!"

"Just put the movie in, kid," he says, smiling at her.

***

By the time the trilogy is over, it's about three in the morning. Jack stretches his arms, and then glances at his timepiece, "You know, you should probably get some sleep."

She glances over at him, and then gets up, heading back to the telly. "What next?" she asks him, grinning.

He rolls his eyes, and sighs deeply, "Okay, fine. How about the 1951 Christmas Carol. It's a classic."

She nods, and pops it into the player, before joining him once again on the couch. She curls up next to him, grabbing a blanket off the back of the sofa. She lays her head on his shoulder as the movie begins.

***

As the end credits roll, Jack's mobile starts to ring. He grumbles something under his breath, but answers the call anyway. He stands up, and grabs his coat, heading for the door. Hanging up the call, he stops in the doorway and offers her a half smile, "Sorry, gotta handle this. I'll be back soon, kiddo."

He steps out the door, and she just pulls her blanket around her shoulders, and stands as well. She puts Barbie a Christmas Carol into the DVD player, and half watches the film. She does get some sleep as well, as the characters dance across the screen. The movie ends, but Sophie doesn't even realize it, as she lets herself fall asleep.

***

Sophie jolts awake to a knock at the door. Swiping her eyes, she pulls her blanket tighter around her shoulders, and pads over, opening the door. Jack has a smile on his face, and he steps inside, "Sorry, Soph. Aliens just don't seem to understand the concept of holiday's."

"No," she says, smirking. "Aliens love Christmas. They're always invading on Christmas anyway."

He smiles, flinging an arm over her shoulders, "So, what's next on the Christmas agenda?"

She fake pulls out a scroll, "Well, according to this totally legitimate itinerary, making cookies is next on the list."

He chuckles, and starts to walk toward the kitchen. Sophie is still under his arm, and he leads her along beside him. "What kinda cookies are we making?" he asks, leaning against one of the counters.

"Chocolate chip, and sugar cookies."

"I'm a sucker for snickerdoodles," the immortal says, placing his chin on her shoulder.

She rolls her eyes, and sighs, "Chocolate chip, sugar cookies, and snickerdoodles."

The Captain grins, wriggling his eyebrows. He turns abruptly, opening the pantry, and grabbing ingredients.

Sophie crosses her arms, "Do you even know what ingredients we're gonna need?"

"Sugar? Flour? Chocolate Chips?"

"Okay, fair enough," she shrugs. She also begins to grab ingredients out of the cupboards.

They set up their ingredients, acting like loons. Jack juggles some eggs, Sophie throws flour at him. They eat more of the cookie dough than actually goes in the oven, but they have a blast doing it.

As the cookies are baking in the oven, the duo relax back onto the sofa. Sophie puts the DVD of a Christmas Story into the player, and relaxes into the immortal's arms. "Y'know," Jack starts, "I actually got to see some of the filming of this movie."

Sophie crosses her arms and gives him a pouty face, "You always get to do the fun stuff. Next time you go to a movie set, take me with you."

The Captain chuckles, "I think my movie days are over."

"But I want to go see a movie!"

Jack points at the screen, "We are seeing a movie."

"I want to see a movie be filmed," she states, tugging at his arm.

He rolls his eyes, "Yeah, I'll see what I can do. Now watch the movie."

***

As the credits roll, Sophie hops up, pulling the cookies from the oven. Jack strolls over, "Tada!" Sophie cheers, showing off the fresh baked goods.

Jack smiles, and opens his mouth, but his mobile once again starts ringing. Holding up a finger, he produces the device and puts it to his ear. He steps out of the flat for a few minutes, and then comes back in.

"Let me guess," Sophie starts, "You have to go."

The immortal sighs, "I'm sorry, Soph. If I could, I'd stick around, but I run a top secret organization."

"And aliens never rest. Do you want I should come with you?"

"Nah, we got it. Stick here, enjoy yourself." He glances at his Vortex Manipulator, "I should be back before tomorrow."

"Alright," she nods, and wraps her arms around his waist, resting her head against her chest, "Be careful."

"You too, kiddo."