Part 8

Cassie and Luke were making their way round to Marisol's. She'd invited them round for dinner after Cassie had gone over recently and told her about Luke and the marriage. She had insisted that she meet her son-in-law properly and that they come over. It wasn't a long journey over so they hadn't needed to leave until late.

"My ma knows, Luke." Cassie said. Luke turned to look at her, even though he knew exactly what she meant, he just wanted to check. "I told her and explained everything, a few weeks back and she was ok about it. Just upset she didn't get to go the wedding." she added. "Cassie, everything?" Luke asked, implying about Jonno and his addiction. Cassie shook her head. "No, no, I left that to you. It's not my place." she told him. Luke nodded, reassuring himself, knowing if she said it, she meant it.

They soon pulled up to Marisol's and she was stood at the door, waiting to welcome them.

"Luke!" Marisol exclaimed. "Hi, Marisol. How are things?" Luke asked. "Good, thank you. Come in, come in." she said.

They made their way into the living room where Marisol quizzed Luke on everything from his childhood to how he met Cassie and Luke gave honest answers. She wanted to know all about her son-in-law.

-/-

Luke's POV

"Cassie, you need to move!" I heard Marisol shouted from the other room. "Ma! I'm doing just fine. Me and Luke are just fine! We can do it!" Cassie shouted back. They then started a full on screaming match in Spanish and I couldn't understand anymore. Sometimes I wished I could understand and speak Spanish, other times, I thought that maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Cassie stormed out of Marisol's house which gave me my cue to leave. 

"Thank you for dinner, Marisol. It was lovely. I'll see you again sometime." I said. "Goodbye, Luke. It was nice to properly meet you." Marisol said. I went out to the car and joined Cassie. The minute I sat down, Cassie went full rant about how her mum needs to stop treating her like she is 12 and so on. I patiently waited and listened to what she wanted to say.

"I get it, Cass. Your mum is just trying to help and be your mum. It's ok and I know that no matter what she loves you." I told her. She gave me a look of 'shut up and drive' so I did. Sometimes it was better not to say anything.