sixteen

september 25th 2015

y/n pov

"you're fifteen minutes late, maximoff"
I glared at the man that I had never really liked, softening my gaze as I smiled at tony and steve.

"im sorry. I-"
he rudely cut her off and stared at me.

"im not blaming you, im blaming your bodyguard"

"I take full responsibility for miss maximoff's tardiness, sir. it will not happen again"
I clasped my hands and bowed my head slightly, pulling a face because he couldn't see.

"just sit down"
he rolled his eyes as I rolled mine. wanda glared at me and I suddenly heard her voice in my head.

it wasn't your fault, it was mine! I was the one playing 21 questions, not you. idiot.
I rolled my eyes again.

just smile and nod, maximoff.
she groaned before leaving my mind.

"maximoff, im afraid you aren't allowed to be here for this meeting"
fury told her as she stood up, slightly disappointed.

I stood up with her, not knowing if she'd be safe alone outside.

"she'll be fine, y/l/n. sit your ass down"
I did, reluctantly. as she walked away, I grabbed her hand before she passed and looked into her eyes, I could feel her shaking.

"you'll be alright, it's a short meeting, okay?"
she nodded, determined to be independent, and left the room.

"how are wanda's powers developing?"

"they're just starting to warm up, we've been practising a bit"
he nodded.

"what about her mind? how is she with her mental health?"

"I've been taking her to two sessions of therapy each week. they seem to be working but she does have her days"
I told him truthfully but apparently that wasn't enough. he sighed and brought his hands together onto the table, clearly irritated.

"y/l/n, I need you to know that this is taking a lot longer than I had hoped for"
he stared at me disapprovingly. I held my breathe like I did when my father told me off.

"you can't speed up recovery, fury. it takes different lengths of time for different people"
I was beginning to get slightly agitated, my teeth gritting uncomfortably.

"yeah, she's clearly trying. they both are"
Tony tried to help out but he should've known, really.

"shut it, stark"
he continued quickly. I could see steve patting tony on the shoulder in the corner of my eye.

"it's been too long, criminals don't stop trying to take over the world because one little girl misses her baby brother"

"you can't be serious?"
my anger was evident now, I raised my voice but hoped wanda couldn't hear.

"all im saying is-"

"no I hear what you're saying but all I see is bullshit!"
I was stood up now, fury was still sat down, listening to me rant.

"that girl has lost the last member of her family and you're telling me she has a month to get over it?!"
I pointed furiously at him, my voice getting louder and louder.

"you really think you have the right to even have an opinion on this matter? you're a fucking asshole, fury"
I walked out quickly, leaving them to themselves.

I hadn't thought about what would happen if they fired me. I didn't want to think about it because, to be honest, I didn't want to cry.

"what happened?"
wanda was sat on the sofa outside in the waiting room.

"we're leaving"
I took her hand, gently despite my anger, and pulled her along.

"y/n?"
it was tony who called us. I stopped and he caught up to us.

"I just wanted to talk to wanda, that's all"

I sat inside the car to calm myself down. it wasn't really working. I had shouted at wanda's boss and she was probably going to be punished along with me. it had all gone to shit.

wanda pov

"how have you been, really?"
steve asked me as he stood shoulder to shoulder next to tony.

"the therapy seems to be working but I think being with y/n has been most effective"

"you guys are really close, huh?"
steve asked blindly as tony snickered.

"so, what happened in there then?"
I changed the subject quickly, deciding to ignore his question.

"you didn't hear?"
tony asked in disbelief.

"no?..."

"what?! she was like you're talking bullshit, you have no right saying that, you ass!"
he sighed in admiration as steve watched him with a smile.

"wish I had someone who would stand up to fury for me like that"
he whined, going off topic.

"she defended me?"

"defended you? she was the front line, hell she was the entire fucking army. fury didn't stand a chance, the guy couldn't get a single word in"
I didn't notice myself smiling but they sure did. I said goodbye before they could tease me about it.

as soon as I got into the car, y/n drove away from the building. I could tell she was still infuriated but she didn't show it.

"tony said you stood up for me...thank you"
I felt her calm down drastically as soon as she heard my voice.

"I wasn't going to let him say those things about you, especially behind your back. I swear to fuck, he just makes me want to punch him right in his face sometimes"
her anger rose rapidly already, I placed my hands on her thigh and she calmed down again.

"it's alright, you know he means well. if it means jeopardising the mental health of one girl to save the world, he will do it"

"I know, and I would do the same. but I don't care about that, I-I care that's it's you, wanda"
she rushed out her words,  looked into my eyes quickly before turning back to the road.
I was left speechless.

"I will always protect you, wanda. bodyguard or not"

——————————
word count- 986

why is y/n kind of hot 🤨