six

september 11th 2015

wanda pov

y/n was unusually quiet and I couldn't figure out why. she seemed sad and hadn't spoken all day. I didn't want to ask because I was scared I'd be intruding. but I needed to know so I could make her feel better. I did owe her after all.

"do you want to choose the movie?"
I laid the remote into her hand. she just shrugged her shoulders and passed it back to me, tending her shoulders to stand straight.

"no thank you"
she looked completely miserable. I couldn't stand it.

"what's the matter?"
the silence was loud.

"nothings the matter. what do you mean?"
she refused eye contact, it was obvious she was upset.

"don't lie. I know somethings wrong, please tell me"
she picked at her nails for a few seconds and sighed. she bit her lip and stared outside.

"you know the girl I told you about who died when I was her bodyguard?"
I nodded and she bit her nails.

"well, it's her death anniversary. three years"
I placed my hand onto her arm and shook my head.

"I'm so sorry. do you want to talk about it?"

"no. im still working"
she moved away from my touch and I felt hurt.

"y/n, you protect me 24/7. you can't not be sad forever"
she wiped her tears and turned her face away from me.

"let's go on a walk"
she didn't move as I heard her sniffle.

"please?"
she now stared at me and gently nodded.

"okay"

—————————

we returned to the park again and walked with a good distance between us.

"what was she like?"
I asked after a few moments of silence. she reached into her pocket, bringing out her phone as she browsed for a photo.

"she's gorgeous"
I smiled as she nod and hummed in thought.

"she had the purest soul"
she marvelled with a proud grin. I was glad to get her smiling again.

"but also the reason I quit"
I let her speak, I had never been around her while she was so innocent and vulnerable. it made me love her even more.

"she lived by the sea. every night we'd go round and sit by the edge of the beach and let the tide come in. we were engaged. we were going to have a june wedding. I loved her. and she loved me. but I think we were too different"

"it wasn't your fault, y/n. you mustn't dwell on the past like that. she'd be upset to know you get sad when you think about her. think about her to be happy, not heartbroken"
she stared at the children as they played and sighed.

"what am I doing, wanda?"
she rubbed her face with her tear stained hands.

"there are no set rules to grieving. trust me, I know"
she gave me a downcast look and I sighed with her.

"my twin brother pietro died a few years ago. I know you won't believe me but I do roughly know how you feel"

"how did you get over it?"
she turned to me with hope deep in her eyes. I felt so guilty because I didn't have the answer that she wanted.

"I never did. I just got used to not having him around. you learn to live eventually"
we both stared off into the distance, thinking intently. y/n sniffled and stood up.

"let's go back"
I sighed knowing I hadn't cheered her up in the slightest. if anything I had made it worse. but nevertheless, I stood up with her and we began to walk back with empty hearts.

"do you hear that?"
y/n asked and stopped me in my footsteps. I shook my head in confusion.

"listen"
we both grew quiet and I realised I could hear a cry. a baby crying. out of nowhere, a baby crawled in front of us with its face wet with tears. I gasped and picked it up with a frown.

"oh you poor baby"
the baby began to cry even more and I panicked, handing it to y/n.

she held the baby better than I did and swayed it back and forth.

"where's your mama, hm?"
she stroked its tears away and the baby seemed mesmerised by her beauty as it stopped crying. I grew quiet, watching the two. y/n was smiling now, they both were. and soon so was I.

"im sure your mummy is looking for you"
the baby snuggles it's head into her radiating warmth and cooed at her hair. we scanned the area for anybody who looked worried or lost while y/n held the baby as if it were her own.

"let's walk around, we'll find them sooner or later"
I told her the plan and she nodded. we walked along the path and she laughed as the baby smiled at her.

"you're good with kids"
I concluded as she repositioned the baby so they were more comfortable.

"you sound shocked, miss maximoff"
she smirked as we carried on walking.

"I just didn't see you as the 'mommy' type is all"
I regret what came out of my mouth because I immediately knew what she would say in return.

"would you like me to be?"
her voice made my knees week and my face red.

"I never knew you were into that type of stuff, miss maximoff"
she went on and my cheeks grew even redder than before. she laughed at my state.

"you're so adorable when you're flustered"
she grazed my chin with her finger as she inspected my face and I grumbled.

"shut up"
I focused on the trees around us, trying to calm down my cheeks.

"I love babies, just not so much when they're older"
the baby grumbled from underneath her and she laughed.

"of course you don't count"
the baby seemed to understand her as she contently smiled.

"my baby, where's my baby?!"
a middle aged man asked an innocent passer by as he shook them for answers. me and y/n made eye contact as I sighed in relief. the baby mumbled a 'dada' as she extended her arms in the direction of her father who was only a few feet away.

"sir?"
we watched the man cry as he spotted his baby, carefully taking it from y/n as he almost collapsed to his knees.

"thank you, thank you"
he checked his baby and kept thanking us again and again.

"it's quite alright, sir. we're just glad you're both okay"
now with smiles on our faces and beaming hearts, we began to head home.

"so about that mommy kink"
I rolled my eyes at her smirk.

———————————————
word count- 1101

maybe I should just write smut 😩