21. Backstabber

Previously,
Despite that, the crowd was cheering loudly. "Happy Coven Day, everyone." He disappeared. "Is... Belos planning something?" Amity asked Luz. Luz looked at me. "And why did he say he was going to meet you again? Didn't you already meet? What else don't I know? What's gonna happen?" Amity asked. "I-I'm not sure. But for now....we'll take things one day at a time." Luz put her arm around Amity. I hugged King and mom held me closer.

-Backstabber-

~ You're such a backstabber, you such a shit talker, and everybody knows it~

I sat on the couch next to Lilith and Grandma Gwen was standing next to me. Everyone had cups full of... Something while Hooty was giving us a speech. "It is so nice to be surrounded by all of Lulu's dearest friends." Hooty preached. "Yeah! All hail Lulu!" Steve shouted. "We're here to celebrate the new assistant curator of the Supernatural Museum of History. Here's to you, Lulu!" Hooty cheered. "Cheers!" Everyone drank from their cup beside Lilith.

Everyone got up and Grandma Gwen took my hand. She dragged me over to her friend and started talking to them. I saw a rope leave the house and I tried peeking out to see what it was. Lilith was talking to another woman. "Hey, Grandma Gwen, I'll be right back." I took my arm away from her and she smiled at me. "Alright, I'll catch you later, witchlet." She patted my head. I rushed over to Lilith to see what she was doing.

"Uh, thank you, Flora." She looked uncomfortable. "Uh, but it's just a small job. Only an assistant. I'm surprised you even heard about this." She took her hat off. "The emperor wanted to make sure you weren't getting into any trouble. And to clear out your office. I left a box of your knickknacks inside. Wish you took more from my tutelage, dear. History's supposed to be exciting, after all." The lady pulled a griffin out of the air and hopped on. She flew away and I run to Lilith.

"Aunt Lily!" I smiled. "Oh hello dear." She pulled me into a hug. "Who's that?" Luz asked. "Flora D'esplora, bad-girl historian, celebrity, and my former mentor in the Emperor's Coven. "I have questions about that name," Luz mumbled. "As I have questions about my life!" She let go of me and started to pace around. "All I ever got to do was desk work while she goofed off riding snake horses and..." Lilith trailed off. "Snorses." Luz gasped. "And... And eating mummy jerky! Well, I can be just as exciting as Flora. I'll come up with an exhibit that'll knock the Titan's socks off!" She angrily marched back inside and I sighed. "Congratulations on your new job!" Luz shouted.

~~~~~~

I was laying on the floor as Mom cleaned up. I looked up and the mouse started to show us more of that book. P/n and Flapjack chatted on my shoulder. "After careful analysis during this Deadwardian Era, I believe the current human year is 1660. Or is it '70? The years are flashing by, but it will all be worth it. I've gathered all the portal ingredients, including Titan's Blood. All that's left is to seek out The Collector. And then find the half-witch, Our Beloved. And they will tell me what I need to complete my mission. But first, my companions and I must face..." The hologram burned away.

"The Collector and Our Beloved? I've never heard those names." King told us. "Me neither. What kind of jerk puts 'The' in front of their name anyway. And the Beloved one is worse." Mom said. "I know about them." I shared. "What about it?!" Luz asked. The Collector isn't a witch or a Demon. He's like the god of the stars. The Our Beloved one is a half-witch. She is the daughter of the sun, but since she isn't a full god they call her a half-witch." I explained.

"When did you learn this?" Luz sat up. "Yeah, I would like to know." Mom stopped cleaning. "This creepy man told me after I threatened to burn him alive." I smiled. Everyone went silent but then mom hugged me. "That's my girl!" Mom squeezed me. "So maybe The Collector may know how to make a real portal door. He may know why mine is so unstable. I just... I messed up so bad last time. I need to do better." Luz hugged her knees. Mom let go of me and pick up the trash bag again. "Luz, I've got leg hair older than you. This Philip guy worked on his door for years. Try not to beat yourself up too much." Mom advised while continuing to clean.