5

( I got a new phone so updates are back to every Tuesday!! )
-

A gentle hand woke Ava up out of her deep sleep.

She recognized their gentle and loving touch. She knew those hands well.

Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled weakly at the sight of her mother.

"Mama." She croaked.

"Hi, Babygirl.' Karen continued to stroke her hair. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay." Ava answered, looking around the hospital room. "My head hurts."

"You hit your head. You have a concussion." Karen explained, kissing her forehead. "Better?"

"Yeah." Ava decided not to nod for fear of aggravating her headache. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too, baby." Karen smiled. "I'm here now. Everything's gonna be okay."

Ava's nose twitched and she lifted her hand to scratch it, only to be surprised by the light blue cast around her arm when it hit her in the face.

"You broke your arm." Karen laughed lightly, pushing her arm down. "You'll be wearing that cast for next several weeks. "That means no strenuous activities and lots of bed rest."

"Are Lucas and Uncle Keith okay?" Ava asked softly.

"Your Uncle Keith is fine. He just has a few scratched, nothing to worry about." Karen told her, standing up. "Get some rest, I'll be nearby."

"You didn't tell me about Luke, Mama."

"I didn't, did I?" Karen sat back down on the bed. "You know, I used to be able to distract you and change the subject. It's not working so much anymore."

"Mama."

"Your brother had to have surgery, he hasn't woken up yet.....but he's gonna be okay. I promise."

"Hey, Trouble." Haley smiled, carefully sitting down on Ava's hospital bed. "I hear they're springing you today."

"Yeah....I'm bored. Did you bring me any candy?"

"Don't tell your mother." Haley handed her a pack of sour gummy worms.

"Thank you!" Ava smiled widely. "Can you open it?"

"Did you eat yet?"

"No..."

"Then no gummies for you."

Lucky for Ava, Karen came into the room with a bag of food from the cafe.

"Deb dropped this off for you." She told her, taking the food out of the bag. "It's about time you had something other than hospital food. She brought your favorites, chicken tenders and fries."

Ava grinned and allowed her mother to place the food in her lap. "Want some?" She asked Haley, holding out a piece of chicken.

"Gimme a bite." Haley opened her mouth and let the child feed it to her. "That's good stuff."

"Where did this come from?" The pack of gummy worms caught Karen's eye.

"Haley gave 'em to me!"

"Hey! That was supposed to be our little secret!" Haley's jaw dropped. "That's the last time I"ll ever bring you any candy. Next time you'll get carrots and brussel sprouts."

"Ew!"

"It's good to see you up and happy." Ava's doctor walked in with a clipboard. "All your vitals are okay and you'll be wearing that cast on your arm for the next eight weeks. You're free to go." She smiled. "But you'll need to take it easy for the next week or so."