4

Updates at 15 votes .
-

"Why the long face?" Haley asked Ava as the child slumped down on a chair at the counter of the cafe.

"I wanted to hang out with Maddie and Sam today." Ava rested her chin in the palm of her hand.

"So why don't you?"

"Uncle Keith says I can't.....at least not today."

"Did he tell you why? I'm sure there's a good reason."

"My dad's birthday is today and my grandparents are here.....he wants me to meet them tonight at dinner." She pouted. "It isn't fair. Lucas gets to get out of this dumb dinner, but I have to go and eat with people I don't know."

"I get what you mean." Haley sympathized, handing her a cookie. "Can I tell you a secret?"

"Yeah."

"Nathan invited me to go to the dinner with him." The teen told her. "I said I would."

"Yay!" Ava perked up instantaneously. "You're gonna be there, too!"

"Maybe it won't be so bad." Haley smiled back, glad that she could brighten the girl's day.

Ava hopped off her chair just as a man entered the cafe and studied them, trying to get a read on them.

"Good morning, Sir." Haley greeted him. "Table or counter?"

"Um, actually, I'm looking for Karen."

"My Mama's not here." Ava spoke softly, making sure to keep her distance.

She saw the way his entire demeanor changed once she revealed that Karen was her mother, and she didn't know what to make of it.

"Karen's in Italy right now." Haley clarified. "Cooking school."

"Good for her." The man smiled. "How's that boy of hers doing?"

"Lucas is great.....She calls in every once in a while, do you want me to leave a message?"

"No." He shook his head politely. "That's alright. I'll catch her the next time I'm passing through."

"Okay, can I tell her who stopped by? Mr.....?"

"Just and old friend." The man waved before leaving the two girls completely bewildered by his visit.

Who was that guy?

"Look at the bright side, you didn't have to wear a dress." Keith playfully nudged his niece as they stood outside of Dan's house preparing to go in.

"If I promise to wear a dress at school, will you let me go home?"

"Nice try." He shook his head in amusement as he opened the door and motioned for her to go in.

"Uh uh." She protested, giving him an incredulous look. "No way, you go first."

Keith laughed, but he did enter the house first, with Ava clinging to the back of his shirt.

"Keith!" An older woman rushed to hug him, making Ava tighten her grip on her uncle as she grew more and more bashful.

"You look great." Keith hugged her back warmly.

"Look what the cat dragged in." The man who had stopped by the cafe said from the dining area.

So that's why he came by!

Ava was beginning to connect to dots.

"It's good to see you, too, Dad." Keith shook his hand diplomatically, before doing the same with his brother. "Happy birthday, Danny."