:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty

It wasn’t every day you woke up in your boyfriend’s bed due to the sound of a slamming door and opening your eyes to see a small baby peering curiously into your eyes. I uttered a small scream of surprise, sitting up immediately, and grabbing the baby so he wouldn’t fall off the bed. Chris sat up immediately, sending Milkshake in a furry tumble down his abdomen. When his eyes landed on the small child in front of us, he blinked. “Paul?”           

            “I think now’s the time you tell me if you have an illegitimate baby,” I stated dumbly, staring at the child I was holding.

            Chris frowned. “Holly!” he suddenly shouted, throwing the comforters off himself. “Holly!”

            “What?” I asked, staring at him in confusion. “You don’t need to yell—”

            “Yes, Chris?”

            My head snapped to the bedroom door, where my doppelganger was standing. She smiled brightly at me. “Hey Holly! I didn’t know you and Chris slept in the same bed—”

            “What is Paul doing here?” Chris demanded, cutting her off.

            “You’re babysitting him today,” she said casually.

            Chris froze. “What?”

            I recognized the baby now. Paul was Holly’s stepson.

            “It’s okay, isn’t it? Andy is working and I just got called in. Holly, you’ll watch him for me right?” Holly asked, turning her pleading eyes on me.

            “Uh… Sure?” I responded, throwing a confused look to Chris.

            “Thank you!” she chirped, grinning widely. “I’ll pick him up around seven o’clock! I left some of his toys and stuff by the door. Oh, and Chris, if you have to go somewhere I left his car seat in your car. You know, you should really lock your door...”

            Chris scowled at her. “Holly—”

            “Bye bye!” she called, disappearing from the doorframe.

            Chris and I exchanged looks. I smiled widely saying, “I love kids!” the same time he sighed muttering, “I hate kids.”

            An awkward silence passed between us, only broken when Paul started babbling nonsense. I quickly returned my attention to him, bouncing him up and down on my lap. My mind was racing. Chris didn’t like children? That was unexpected. If he didn’t like children, why would Holly drop Paul off here?

            Paul suddenly let out an over flow of drool onto my stomach, making me groan in disgust. “Eww!”

            “Don’t you dare wipe that off on my covers,” Chris warned threateningly. “I already have enough drool on my bed because you like to drool while you sleep.”

            Flushing, I glared at him. “I do not!”

            “The stains on my pillow say otherwise,” he remarked with an amused twinkle to his eyes.

            I glowered at him, my embarrassment increasing ten-fold. He smirked smugly back at me. “I hate you,” I finally muttered.

            “No you don’t, and I never said you drooling was a bad thing. It’s cute.”

            “I’m going to change my shirt,” I notified him, pushing myself out of his warm bed.

            He chuckled, climbing out of the bed as well. “Okay. I’ll start breakfast. When you’re done, you feed the kid.”