:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Six

“You know you don’t have to go, right?”

            I looked up at Jeremy, who was hovering over me, crossing his arms. Currently, I was on the gym floor sitting Indian style. Sounds of basketballs being dribbled and students talking loudly filled the room. In my anxiety of having to ignore Chris all day, I had forgotten my gym clothes, and in turn, couldn’t participate with them. Lance was sitting out with me as well, but he was still in a grumpy mood about having to stay out in the hallway for both periods of biology. Jeremy raised an eyebrow, waiting for my response to his statement. “I know,” I finally sighed. “I figured that out five minutes after he assigned it.”

            “I’m not allowed to hold detention either,” he responded, frowning. “Otherwise I’d make you or Casey stay after with me everyday. I don’t know why I have to be here until three… It’s not fair.”

            I ignored his rambling, focusing on my own problems. “If I skip, Chris will just come to my house, and my mom’s home today. I don’t want it to be awkward. She’ll know something is up right away and try to butt her way into it. She’ll take Chris’s side too, because I think she likes him more than I do.”

            Jeremy squatted, his mouth now turned into a playful smile. “You could always stay with me. Hang out in the gym after school that way he won’t be able to find you. And you can keep me company.”

            “I’ll stay after too!” Lance added, his eyes lighting up. “This is a perfect chance to hang out with you!”

            “We can ask Casey too,” Jeremy said, nodding. “It’ll be like a mini party.”

             I debated about it for a moment. I really did want Chris to apologize first, but wasn’t a day and a half enough time to let him wallow in his guilt? He probably was already planning to apologize. But then again, I was curious as to what he would do if I continued ignoring him. If it got to the point where he got too angry with me I could always back out and apologize to him. “Okay, that sounds good,” I finally responded, giving Jeremy a little grin.

            “Good!” he said, clapping his hands together. “Now I’m excited. Casey!” he cried loudly, waving her over. “Come here!”

            The brunette jumped in surprise before turning to look at him. Unfortunately for her, her partner had just thrown a basketball, which hit her in the chest. She winced, turning to scowl at James. He gave her a sheepish look. Shaking her head, she began to jog her away over to us. “What’s up, Jeremy?”

            “Mr. Ross,” Lance and I corrected her immediately.

            She rolled her eyes. “Right. What’s up, Mr. Ross?”

            “Want to stay after school with me, Holly, and Lance? We’re having a party.”

            Cocking an eyebrow, she turned to me. “What’s this? You actually have time to hang out with us?”

            Lance smirked while I scowled at her. “If you just ask me when you want to hang out, I will. I don’t spend every waking moment with Chris, you know!”

            She chuckled. “I’m just teasing you, Holly. I can stay after, but I’ll need a ride home…”

            “I’ll give you one,” Jeremy and I chorused. I raised an eyebrow at him. “Okay, Jeremy will,” I told Casey.

            Casey opened her mouth to say something, but abruptly closed when she noticed my look. I knew she was going to mention that she lived down the street from me so it would be pointless to have Jeremy drive her. This would be a good chance for them to have some more alone time. Jeremy agreed vigorously to driving her home and she ran off to join James again, looking a little bit flustered.