:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty-Two

I was awoken to the sound of murmured voices. Instead of letting whoever was talking know I was awake, I stayed motionless, deciding to feign sleep for a little longer. There was pressure on my legs, making me think something heavy was set on top of them. Something heavy and warm. 

"When that time comes, are you okay with it?" 

I knew that voice belonged to Chris. What was he talking about? Who was he talking to? What was he doing here? My mind went back to last night. Had we all ended up falling asleep on the couch? I couldn't remember him and Jeremy going home. 

There was a light sight. "Well..." 

That was my mom's voice. Now I was even more confused. 

"I'll probably hate you," my mom declared. 

Chris chuckled. "I don't blame you." 

"Holly will cry." 

There was a moment of silence. "I know." 

"I'll probably cry too." 

"I wouldn't be surprised." 

My heart was starting to pound. What were they talking about? What was going to make me cry? What was going to make my mom hate him? It was quickly becoming hard to pretend to be asleep. I wanted to know what they were talking about. Whatever it was, it didn't sound good. My heart felt like lead. It almost sounded like he was going to break up with me. But where did it come from? We were fine last night! Was it something I did? Was it because I'd talked to Aaron without telling him? That was hardly reason to break up with me! 

"I don't really have a choice in the matter, do I?" my mom questioned, her voice regretful. 

There was another awkward moment of silence. "No," Chris admitted after a moment. "My decision is already made. No matter what you say, I won't back out on it. It's for the best for both of us." 

"Does that mean I won't being seeing you around here much more after it?" 

"Well..." 

My mom sighed again. "This is really abrupt." 

"No, I've been thinking about it for awhile. Certain things have happened lately and it's changed things." 

My eyes were starting to water under their closed lids. It had to be something bad. That definitely sounded like a break up. Why had I talked to Aaron without telling Chris? Why didn't Chris tell me he was upset about it? We could have talked it out! And what did he mean by certain things? Was it the Jeremy thing? There was no way that could happen to us! 

"I should probably go," Chris stated uncomfortably. 

"No!" I cried, involuntarily sitting up. The person lying on my feet tumbled to the floor with a loud thump. A quick glance revealed to me it was Jeremy. He stayed passed out. 

Chris and my mom stared at me in surprise. It took me a moment to struggled out from under the heavy blankets that someone had put on me last night. My feet hit the cool floor after a few agonizing seconds and I stumbled toward Chris, throwing my arms out to him. He easily caught me in his own arms, allowing me to pull myself to his chest. I gripped the back of his shirt, trying to press my body as close to his as possible. A few tears spilled over and the salty liquid ran down my cheek, soaking into his rumpled shirt as I pressed my face against it. 

"What's wrong?" he asked in a murmur, rubbing my back. "Did you have a nightmare?" 

"Holly?" my mom added in a worried tone. 

Sniffing, I managed to force my head away from Chris far enough as to let me look into his grey eyes. "What were you talking to my mom about? What's going to make her hate you? Why won't you come around here anymore? What's going to make me cry, Chris?"