:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Five

Monday afternoon I trudged up to the Phys Ed alone. Casey had gone home early because she wasn’t feeling well. That meant I had to deal with Jeremy by myself. With a sigh, I shoved open the gym door, earning a cry of pain from whoever I hit with it. I stared in disbelief as Aaron backed away from the door, rubbing his head.

“Watch it,” he snapped, frowning at me.

“Sorry!” I apologized quickly. “But it’s not my fault you were in front of the door.”

He rolled his eyes. “Yeah, but most people don’t open doors like they’re trying to break them down.”

“I-I wasn’t—”

            “Holly!”

            I turned my head just in time to see Lexi throwing herself at me. Caught off guard, I stumbled backwards as she collided with me. I groaned as my back hit the edge of the gym door that was still open. Lexi immediately pulled away from me. “Sorry!” she apologized, bowing her head. “I just got, um, excited when I saw you…” She narrowed her eyes at Aaron for a brief second before turning back to me. “Look at the far corner of the room. I’m sure you’ll like what you see. Everyone else does.”

            Following her pointed finger, my eyes traveled to the far right corner of the room. I blinked in surprise when I realized I was looking at Chris and Jeremy standing together, talking. They were quite a sight too; nearly all the girls were staring at them. I couldn’t blame them though— they were the two best-looking teachers here. And they were both in dating range.

            “What are Jeremy and Mr. Heywood doing together?” I asked myself, furrowing my eyebrows at them.

            Lexi nudged me in the ribs. “Jeremy?”

            “Er… Mr. Ross.”

            She grinned at me. “You wouldn’t happen to be the girlfriend you claimed Mr. Ross had, would you?”

            I shook my head vehemently. “No! No, I’m definitely not dating him. He’s just my… family friend.”

            “Besides, Holly is interested in someone else.”

            My eyes snapped to Aaron, who was smirking. I watched him warily, feeling my heart rate increase. How could he know? Was he really that perceptive? “No I’m not…”

            He shrugged. “Well soon you’ll be.”

            “With who?”

            “Me,” he responded smugly.

            A frown flitted onto my face. Well that wasn’t what I expected. “I don’t even know you. I… I’m going to talk to Lance.” With that, I hurried away from the twins and towards Lance, who was climbing the rock wall that lined the far side of the gym.

            “Hey Holly,” he greeted, dropping down to the floor as I grew closer.

            “Hi,” I responded, smiling at him. “Do you know why Chris is here?”

            Lance shot me a warning look. “Mr. Heywood, Holly.”

            I made a face. “Crap.”

            “Holly,” Lance started, lowering his voice. “I know you’re all in love with Heywood and everything, but you’re still a student here. If anyone catches you—”