athenadora ⸻ 013

A/N: Thank you all so much for 6k reads! The support for this story really means a lot to me! I hope you enjoy this next chapter and let me know what you think about it!

When I woke the next morning, everything was pretty much went the same as yesterday. I freshened up, put on a dress Caius provided me with and then I ate breakfast provided by the human cooks.

After thanking her, Caius took my hand and began to lead me through the castle. I was nervous, wondering what was in store but my mind relaxed as we went opposite of the throne room.

Soon, we were going to a part of the castle that looked completely untouched. The flooring was unscratched, the walls looked new. It looked hardly travelled and the deeper we went, I saw why.

Eventually the cobblestone walls led us to a flight a stairs, and at the stairs four guards guards were posted. None of them were moved an inch until they saw Caius, and when they did they promptly moved aside.

He rolled his eyes at them but we continued walking until we reached a thick, wooden door. Outside of that door were four more guards.

"What's in here?" I asked, beginning to get curious. What was behind this door that was important, it needed eight guards?

"Not what," Caius said simply. "Who."

He didn't elaborate, only pulling out a golden key to unlock the door.

When he did, it swung open and I finally saw what was so important and heavily locked away in a tower.

A woman.

My eyebrows furrowed as she turned around, getting up from her seat near the window. She had long, waist length black hair and red eyes that seemed somewhat kind. Upon seeing us, her face lit up.

"Oh my," Her red eyes met mine and immediately I felt like I had been put on the spot.

"Um, hi?" I said, confused. Who was this woman?

Caius greeted her like she was an old friend. I was surprised; Caius never greeted anyone that warmly. He never addressed someone in a voice that wasn't venomous, either. But as I watched, he seemed to have a somewhat....normal interaction with her.

She kissed his cheeks and exchanged a quick greeting before flitted towards to me. I backed away a little at her close proximity.

"My, my," Her red lips curled up as she surveyed me, though I wasn't sure what she was looking for. "This is her? Nadine Cullen?"

My name was smooth on her lips, like Caius. I nodded.

"That's me," I said weakly, still wondering who this woman was, and why we came to visit her. "And you are...?"

"Splucia," She answered her name and it was like a lightbulb going off in my head. "I am..."

"Aro's mate," I said breathlessly, everything clicking in my head now.

Of course. The tower. The guards. She was the woman in the tower. The Queen in the Shadows, many people called her. For Aro was so paranoid of losing her he kept her locked up in a tower.

"Yes," She gave me a tight lipped smile. "I see you know of me already."

"Of course!" I stumbled a little, looking at Caius. "I just didn't think I'd ever get to meet you, that's all."

"Aro has requested that you meet once and for all," Caius informed us. "For one Queen to another."

Splucia and I shared a looked. Her red eyes lit up with excitement.