battlefield ⸻ 007

"Aro, let us settle this civilly like we always have," Grandpa was the one that spoke up first, pleading them to spare us already. "No laws have been broken here. Let us prove it to you."

"We see the child, do not think we are fools!" The blonde man hissed, his red eyes piercing Reneesme.

He did not think twice to address me, which meant we were already proving them wrong.

"They are not immortals!" Carlisle shouted out, pointing to us. "These witnesses can attest to that."

"This is quite the gathering you've collected Carlisle," Aro said. "Strange, for someone that claims that they're innocent."

"Aro no laws were broken. Let us prove it to you," Grandpa pleaded. "See the blush on their cheeks, the blood running through their veins!"

"Artifice!" The blonde man spat out.

"I will collect every asset of the truth," Aro held his hand up to stop him. "But from someone more central to the story. Edward," He gestured for my father, making my stomach drop and my grip tighten. "As the child clings to your newborn mate."

I glanced at my father with agonized look in my eyes.

'Don't go,' I pleaded in my head.

"I'll be back," He assured me.

The right side of my body felt cold as he left. Mom immediately ushered me between her and Reneesme, all of us watching my Dad anxiously.

He approached Aro and the man greedily took his hand. I didn't understand why, though. But when he finished, he let out a laugh that was the creepiest thing I ever heard.

"How remarkable," He said. "I'd like to meet them."

A hiss let my mother's lips, her standing in front of us protectively. However, the look my father gave her told me one thing: we had no choice.

I gulped, my heart speeding up. And though hesitant, my mom, Reneesme, Jacob and I all began walking.

Halfway through, my mom looked back at Uncle Emmett. He understood and was by my side in an instant.

Together all five of us kept going until finally we were in front of Aro. He sized me up, wonder glinting in his eyes.

"You are not the same child the informer saw," He said suspiciously. "Who are you?"

"N-Nadine Cullen," I told him shakily. I tried to look confident, but failed, my rapidly beating heart giving me away.

"Nadine," Aro tested it out on his tongue. "And you claim to be the same child the informer saw?"

"Yes," I nodded my head, that at least coming out confident. "I grow much faster than my sister. She is more human, and I am more vampire. That is why I look different."

"Hm." It was clear Aro wasn't convinced.

I panicked. "I-I can show you," I blurted out, before he had the chance to ask for my hand. "I can prove to you I am the same person."

Now that he was interested in. Aro looked at me greedily, waiting to see what I could do. Dad gave me an encouraging look, and I took a deep breath.

Slowly, images of my life began to pour into Aro's head. My earliest memories of birth, growing up, maturing, and then finally when I was done I released his mind.

He gasped. "Magnifico," He whispered in Italian. "To have the gift of projection like your mother, and the gift of minds like your father. Truly fascinating!"

The blonde man beside him scoffed, his eyes flickering to mine. I held my breath once again. He seemed to be studying me; taking everything he could in. And then, the wind blew slightly. He took in a deep breath.

A deep growl erupted from his chest, red eyes slowly turning black. He clenched his fist and I gasped.

"Brother?" Aro snapped his attention to the man, who slowly stepped forward. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Nothing," The blonde snapped and looked away from me quickly, "Let us get on with this."

"Very well," Aro turned back to look at Reneesme. That's when I stepped up, slightly blocking his view of her. "May I?"

I had to restrain myself from protecting her as she stepped up. Aro tried to take her hand, but like me, she showed her own gifts.

His eyes moved back and forth, taking it all in. And when he was finished, he exhaled.

"Remarkable," He breathed out, leaning back up. My parents took that as our que to leave. We started walking back, but I could feel eyes on me the entire time.

"Half-mortal. Half-immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn, which she was still human."

"Impossible!" The blonde called out.

"Do you think they fooled me brother?" Aro turned to him, speaking in a low tone. As if he was dating him to say something.

The blonde paused for a moment before speaking again.

"Bring the informer forward."