when the snow sticks ⸻ 006

Ever since we learned the Volturi was coming for my sister and I, we had tried to gather as many witnesses as we could to attest for us.

Between my power and Reneesme's, it wasn't hard to convince them. But that was because they were willing to listen. We weren't sure if the Volturi would let us live that long.

But we had to have hope; I had to have hope.

"Hey," Reneesme and I were interrupted by mom coming into our tent, wanting us to be away from all the vampires. Though I was technically eighteen, she still wanted to shield me.

"Hey mom," I smiled and she came to lay down with us, brushing my hair to the side.

"Is everything going to be okay, momma?" Reneesme asked, her for eyes wide.

We couldn't tell her the whole the truth. We were twins, but in a way she was my little sister.

"Of course," Mom moved so Nessie's head was in her lap, "Of course we will honey. Everything will be fine. We'll all be okay tomorrow."

I gave my sister a reassuraning smile to convince her.

"I actually- I got you guys something," Mom announced. She pulled two necklaces from her pocket and gave them to us.

"It means 'more than my own life,'" She explained the foreign writing, right under the picture of our little family. "That's how much I love you guys."

"Thank you mom," I said sincerely. I felt tears prick my eyes, fighting the urge to cry. "I love it."

I let her embrace me and then laid down, preparing for sleep. Reneesme cuddled to my side, sighing in content. I didn't want to fall asleep, but I knew I needed to be rested for tomorrow.

God help us all.

* * *

The snow crunched under my feet, my stomach twisting in various different ways. I walked in between mom and Dad, Nessie between her Jacob.

Behind us were all of our witnesses, all scared for their lives. None of us knew what was to come, but I was hoping for the best as I looked out onto the snowy field.

"Nadine," My father's voice caught my attention. As we stopped, I turned to him, humming. "Remember what we talked about, okay? If Aro asks to read your thoughts-"

"Don't give him my hand. Show him instead," I reiterated, nodding. "Got it."

He squeezed my hand, giving me a small smile. I leaned into his side, probably feeling safe for the last time today.

We only waited a few more minutes before I could spot them. My heart sped up as black robes entered my vision. Hundreds of them.

My eyes widened at the sheer numbers. I wasn't expecting that many, but alas, the feeling that all these people were here to destroy us made me sick.

Amongst them, I could practically feel the power radiating off of them. My eyes landed on the three vampires up front; all red eyes. The one in the front wore an expression that made me uneasy, almost...gleeful. The vampire behind him with long black hair looked as if he'd rather be anywhere other then here. But finally...

My eyes locked with the blonde vampire with a scowl on his face. My breath hitched, my body forgetting how to breathe. Momentarily, the world when dark, but yet I could still only see him.

The longer I stared, the longer he held it. I could visually see his gaze softening, a growl leaving his pale pink lips.

My father matched it.

"Caius smells her already," He told my mother, causing her to tense.

Caius...

Why did his name all of sudden sound so appealing to me now?