Chapter 29

Jacob and I crouch silently on the tree branches. We wait for Tony's signal, which will be a flare gun shot in the air followed by a flash of light from a stun grenade.

There must be at least a dozen of men hanging about in the trees. It's too dark to know the exact number. Plus, the leaves are quite useful in covering all of us.

The flare gun is shot, and we shut our eyes immediately as the flash goes off.

That's when we attack as the enemies are stunned.

All of us leap off the branches and land neatly, somersaulting out of the landing and getting up quickly. We begin running without a moment's haste, shooting and knifing anyone in the way. I feel like one of the Avengers, fighting like a badass mofo.

Jacob and I make eye contact and nod towards the center tent. He gets my message: get the big bad boss.

It is no surprise we are halted as soon as soon as the enemies recover their sight. Most of the bigger, tougher looking men surround the middle tent.

A man who must be over six feet tall and packed with only muscles leers at me as we approach. Then, more men who looks like him surround Jacob and I.

"They must have a thing for circling people." Jacob says as we get closer to each other.

"No shit, Sherlock," I laugh.

"If this ends well, then I'm taking you out on a date." Jacob smirks as we fight back to back.

"What a great way to ask me as we are fighting for our lives." I reply sarcastically.

"You know me," his smirk widens. "I'm not normal."

"Wow, well do I not get a choice in the matter? Cocky much?" I laugh as I duck from a knife swipe. I sidestep his next jab, grab his bicep, and chop straight down on his elbow. I hear a satisfactory pop as his elbow dislocates. Then, I kick his knees so he falls off balance. Swiftly, I slam the butt of my knife and knock him unconsciously.

"Let's bet on it then," he grunts as he takes in some blows before effectively disarming his opponent and knocking him unconscious.

"Ugh," I groan. "Not you too? My brothers are idiotic enough with their stupid bets. Let's not start with yours." I grimace as some blood splatter on my clothes. Thank god I chose to change into an all black attire so I do not see all the stains.

"Well, I'm expecting a date. We will discuss the details later," he winks at me as he fires a bullet at someone without looking. Of course, his aim is accurate: right in the center of the guy's forehead.

"What a way to ask a girl on her first date," I roll my eyes once more. I throw one of my knives towards a man across from me just as Jacob fires a bullet into the guy's noggin. Teamwork.

"First date?" His tone suggests he doubt my words. "Switch." He adds as we switch spots without hesitation or disruption of movement. Gosh, I love how well we work together.

"Yes, first date." I raise my voice as people shout all over the place. "Sheltered life remember? Plus, I was laying low at Elite."

"We are going to change that."He replies confidently. "Damn, we got incoming."

I see as another group comes towards us.

"Pancake." He says suddenly. There goes his wacky terms.

"Wait-," I begin to tell him. I take out my two guns and hold one in each hand. "We haven't practiced-" But by then, it's already too late. He has already linked arms with me. I grumble under my breath as he lifts me on top of his back. Then, he spins me in circles as I fire away. I stop once my bullets run own.