Chapter 27

I watch as Dr. Andrea and Jacob both tap their foot impatiently as the seconds tick by.

"You do know that you guys can go and help the Family out? I'm a big girl and don't need two people to babysit me. What can I even do with this clunky cast on me anyways?" I wiggle my leg which has a my neon green cast. I thank whoever operated on my limbs because they are all healing nicely and quickly.

"Nice try." Dr. Andrea seems to know exactly what I have planned.

"What do you mean?" I ask innocently. "You really think I can do anything as injured as I am right now?" I scoff.

"Knowing you, you'll find a way to get involved some way or another." She rolls her eyes.

She is correct.

Jacob narrows his eyes and puts his finger to his lips. He signals with his hands for us to get ready for incoming people. We immediately shut our lips and wait in anticipation. Jacob props himself beside the door frame, gun aimed at the door. Dr. Andrea does the same as she leans protectively at me.

Where's my gun?

I pause and look at my unarmed state. Whatever weapon I had originally was taken away. I grimace briefly before grabbing an iron fireplace poker.

The sound of faint gunfire and shouts are more noticeable now that the room we are in is completely silent.

The wooden door does not reveal much, so I wonder how exactly Jacob has noticed anything.

Immediately after my thoughts, bullets are fired at the door before it is kicked open.

Dr. Andrea and I duck behind the office desk, which is flipped on its side to provide us with some sort of protection. I glance to my side to see that Jacob has already taken down a few men before he rolls to the side behind the couch.

I gulp before aiming my poker at one of the attacker's neck. It lands straight through. I try not to think about his face as it soars right into his jugular.

"Wow. They sucked." Jacob shakes his head as he comes out of his hiding spot.

"Jacob," Dr. Andrea gives a disapproving look.

"Ah, did I say that aloud?" He doesn't look the slightest bit uncomfortable. "Well, we should go to another room."

He begins to lead us to another room. He walks with an air of confidence and comfort. I'm impressed he even knows the place so well since the place is a maze.

As we carefully roam through the hallways, I glance around waiting for an intruder of some kind. However, the halls are now silent and look normal.

I speak too soon. We make a turn down the hallway and almost run straight at a group of men.

"Fuck!" Jacob curses as he and Andrea shove me to the side. Unfortunately, with only one good leg, I lose balance. Fortunately, I am pushed into a door but it swings right open as soon as I collide with it.

Dusting myself off, I lift myself up and find myself in a ransacked room. Everything, I mean even the wallpaper, is ripped and searched. I almost don't recognize that this is one of the guest rooms.

I take this as a moment of luck and surprise I can use for my escape. I am not the slightest bit worry about Andrea or Jacob for they can both handle themselves well.

As my moment of exhilaration from my freedom disappears, I frown as I realize I have absolutely no idea what to do. Basically, the Acerbis want to take control of us and will kill to get what they want. I have something they also want. That means they will kill me. I think back to the childhood days when I would play hide and seek with my brothers. There was this one spot. It was a great hiding spot where my brothers couldn't find me. It also led me to become partially scared of the dark since my brothers took forever to find me.