017

cinema——
lovely suspicions

017

"Alright, so let me get this straight." The very next morning the three came up with a plan on how they were going to bait the small demogorgon into following them to a destination, one they still hadn't really decided on. They had to get the necessary supplies which included three buckets of raw beef, rubber gloves and gasoline. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?" Steve repeated what Dustin had just told him.

Kenra was walking farther behind them, not really paying attention, she was more focused on not gagging because of the feel of raw meat in her gloved hands. "All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things." Dustin told Steve.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked curiously.

"An interdenominational slug? Because it's awesome." Dustin said obviously. To him, of course Max would have liked the slug because it's cool and he thinks Max is cool.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I.. I just... I don't know. I feel like you're trying way too hard." Steve told him.

Dustin rolled his eyes. "Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" He frown slightly as he looked up at Steve, who literally even in extreme circumstances still has perfect hair.

Steve sighed. "It's not about the hair, man." Though Steve did know that his hair probably did add to a lot of the female attention he gets. "The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care."

Dustin scrunched his face up in confusion. "Even if you do?" He turned to look at the older boy.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." Steve said.

"Then what?" Dustin was prepared for a full rundown on how to get girls and Steve was perfectly willing to tell him. "You just wait until. uh.. till you feel it."

Dustin glanced back behind them to see Kenra walking much farther behind them and getting distracted by lizards by her feet. Steve turned to follow him and smiled slightly at the girl before turning back around.

"Feel what?" Dustin restarted their conversation.

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it but you can feel it, like this. uh... electricity, you know?" Steve tried to explain to the middle school boy.

Dustin nodded. "Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere—"

"No, no, no, no, no," Steve cut him off. "Like a.. Like a sexual electricity." He corrected himself.

"Oh." Dustin said surprised. "You feel that, and then you make your move." Steve said.

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asked quickly.

"No, whoa, whoa." Steve shook his head. "Slow down, Romeo. Sure, okay. Some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a... I don't know, like a lion." Dustin hummed. "But others you've gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a...like a ninja." Steve explained.

"What type is my sister?" Dustin asked out of the blue, causing Steve to freeze and look at him, their steps ceasing. Steve didn't understand where everyone was seeing something between him and Kenra. And if there is something between them, why is it that neither of them have ever noticed it. "I don't—"

"You're going to tell me you sneak into her window all the time and tuck her into bed when she's drunk because she's just your friend?" Dustin looked at Steve. Dustin may be younger than them but he still pays attention to things. He paid attention to Kenra when she was with Jessie, Dustin never liked Jessie because he could tell that he didn't make his sister happy. The last couple of months Kenra has been happier than he'd ever seen her. Maybe it was something to do with some sort of post break up glow up or maybe Kenra just found herself after their lives all turned to shit. But nevertheless, Dustin could always see the look in her eyes when Steve was around.