008

cinema——
eleven

008

Kenra was supposed to meet Nancy and Jonathan to go shopping for some things so they could execute their plan on making a trap to kill the monster that they'd all seen. The reality of the situation was that Kenra couldn't bring herself to get out of bed to do so, at least not until Joyce Byers was banging on her door and telling her that her brother was in danger. Kenra wasn't sure she'd ever put clothes on faster.

After that she'd learned that Jonathan got into a fight with Steve in an alley after he and Nancy had gone to the hunting store. Something about Tommy H. spray painting the words 'Nancy the slut Wheeler' onto the movie theater sign outside for the whole town to see. That's how Jonathan ended up being arrested and that's also what led to Jonathan and Nancy spilling their guts to the chief of police, Jim Hopper and Joyce about all that had happened this week.

Which is also how Kenra ended up in the back seat of Joyce's car with Jonathan and Nancy while they tried to find their little brothers. They were parked on the hill outside of the Wheeler residence where all of the Hawkins Lab workers were taking box after box out of the house. Kenra had learned so much in the last thirty minutes that she felt like her brain was going to explode. "Look, we need to find them before they do." Hopper turned to look at the three teenagers. "Do you have any idea where they could have gone?"

"No, I don't." Nancy said. "I mean, I don't know we haven't talked a lot lately."

"Kenra?" Joyce looked at the blonde girl who was on her verge of hyperventilating. Kenra looked up. "I uh, I don't know where they would be, but I think I know how we can find them."

Hopper sped all the way to the Byers house so they could search for Will's radio that all the boys used to keep in contact. They all jumped out of the car and headed inside the house. Nancy and Kenra both looked around the house in shock at the insane amounts of Christmas lights lining the walls and ceiling. They rushed into Will's room. Everyone looked around for the walkie-talkie. "I got it." Joyce said from under the bed.

Nancy sat down on the bed and held the radio up to her face. "Mike, are you there? Mike? Mike? It's me, Nancy. Mike, we need you to answer. This is an emergency, Mike." There was still silence on the other side for a while. Kenra was worried that something had happened to them. There was no way she'd survive losing all of them.

Kenra grabbed the radio from Nancy and held it up to her face. "Dustin! Listen, you guys need to pick up, please. If-if you don't I'll be forced to find you myself and I know you're not going to like that." She said sternly into the radio.

"We copy." Mike's voice came over the radio quickly. Kenra looked around the room and everyone had hopeful looks on their faces. "It's Mike. I'm here. We're here."

After Hopper left to go find the kids, it left Joyce, Kenra, Nancy and Jonathan stuck at the Byers house with nothing to do but worry. Kenra sat shaking her leg frantically as she waited for them to get there. She was usually so involved in Dustin's life, she didn't understand how so much could happen right under her nose and she didn't even notice. She resented herself for not being there for him to help.

She was the first to jump up at the sight of headlights coming through the front window and she ran out the door. "Dustin?" She called. Kenra ran up to her little brother and wrapped her arms around him as tight as she could. Dustin hugged her back. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, I should have been there to help you guys."

"It's okay, Ken, promise." Dustin shrugged with a toothless smile and Kenra shook her head, only her brother.

"Is that my dress?" Nancy said. Kenra looked over at the girl by her. This must be the girl Hopper was mentioning earlier. She had buzzed blonde hair and she was in a pink dress and a big blue jacket. Mhm.

They all went inside and Mike was trying to show everyone what the concept of the Upside Down was. Which is where they had told them the monsters were coming from. The technical term for monsters being Demogorgon.

Mike drew out an example with a red pen on a piece of scratch paper. "Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea." He pointed to each object on the paper. "And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said that the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate." Dustin farther explained.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." Lucas finished. "With our compasses." Dustin added. No one quite understood what it meant or had to do with anything. Well Kenra did but that's because she listens to Dustin talk about weird shit all the time and believe it or not is actually very intelligent herself.

"Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the direction of a compass needle." Dustin clearifed.

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper spoke up suddenly.

"Yes." Eleven, the young girl that the boys had been hiding said. "Near a large water tank?" He asked.Eleven nodded. "Yes."

"How do you know all that?" Dustin asked with a small stutter.

Mike watched the way Hopper looked away from everyone, clearly in deep thought. "He's seen it." Mike observed.

"Is there any way that you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this—" Joyce spoke. "The Upside Down." Eleven finished.

"And my friend Barbara, can you find her, too?" Nancy asked hopefully.

Mike explained how it was that Eleven was able to communicate through the Upside down. So Nancy pulled out the photo of Barbara that she'd been carrying around with her and they used one of the boys radios. Everyone stood in the dining room in hopes of Eleven being able to see them both.

A static noise came through the radio and the lights flickered momentarily before Eleven opened her eyes again. "I'm sorry." She shook her head.

"What?" Joyce stuttered in fear. "What's wrong? What happened?"

Eleven was tearing up. "I can't find them." It was apparent she felt bad. They let her go use the restroom and the boys tried to explain why she probably couldn't see them.

"Whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak." Mike explained."The more energy she uses, the more tired she gets." Dustin added. "Like, she flipped the van earlier." Lucas said. Kenra tilted her head, what? "It was awesome." Dustin said.

"But she's drained." Mike sighed.

"Well... How do we make her better?" Joyce asked. Mike shook his head. "We don't. We just have to wait and try again."

"Well, how long?" Nancy asked.

"We don't know." Mike said. "The bath." Eleven said from the hallway. Everyone turned to look at her. "What?"

"I can find them. In the bath."