013

cinema——
fighting and cheer ups

013

Kenra has major mixed emotions on parties. Every one she'd been to she'd been to with Jessie. He would breathe down her neck and tell her all the things she could and couldn't do. Then he'd get so violently drunk that he could hardly function, and then he'd tell her all the things that he wanted to do to her.

So, anyways, this is the first ever party that Kenra had ever been at, unescorted. She raided a box full of things her mother had saved from the 60s to create her costume. She'd seen plenty of people that she knew, but no one she really liked except for her friend Lacey who she'd danced with for a while. She hadn't seen Steve or Nancy or Jonathan, who she was now convinced definitely wasn't going to show up.

She took her first sip of alcohol ever, surprisingly, almost an hour ago. It would be an understatement to say that she'd only had a few sips by now. Kenra was at the point that she was realizing how difficult it could be to walk in heels.

"Well aren't you cute." Kenra turned her head and saw a boy, her age smirking down at her. He had curly hair that was cut into a mullet. "You look like a total babe." He said, referring to her dress and boots. He touched some of her long hair that laid over her chest. Kenra looked up at him with a glare.

"And you look like.. every other guy at this party." Kenra said to him, pushing his hand out of her hair. The boy's face dropped ever so slightly and she could tell he was pissed off. She'd seen that face far too many times when it came to boys. However, she walked away from him long before he could say anything else to her.

She found herself stuck in the middle of the dance floor, which also happened to be the living room. That's when Kenra saw Steve and Nancy for the first time. A few gasps were heard from the kitchen and when she looked in that direction she saw Nancy's white sweater covered in bright red punch and Steve followed after his girlfriend as she stormed away.

Kenra was too intoxicated to even bother caring when something more interesting caught her eye. "Jonathan!" She cheered with a large smile as she walked up to the boy. Jonathan turned around to see her. She was beyond surprised that he'd shown up considering she'd just told herself there was no way he would.

"Hey, Ken." Jonathan gave her a small smile.

"I am so surprised you came." Kenra babbled on. It was already pretty clear she was relatively drunk to Jonathan as she spoke. Her body language was extremely pronounced as she moved also. A door slammed, not really loud enough to be heard over the loud music in the house but loud enough someone standing that close could hear it. Kenra watched as Steve exited the house, clearly upset after leaving the bathroom from Nancy.

She thought for hardly a second before she turned back to Jonathan. "I've gotta..yeah." Jonathan nodded, understanding what she was trying to say. He was already hardly paying attention to the words leaving her mouth because half of them were complete nonsense.

Kenra walked out of the house and down the crowded driveway, the music dying down the farther away she got. She saw Steve sitting on the hood of his car, running his hand through his perfectly imperfect hair. "Stevie." Kenra said once she got closer to him, standing in front of him at the side of his car.

Steve looked up at her. "Hey." He managed the single word before his eyes casted downwards again. Kenra tilted her head. "Tell me what happened." She spoke in a soft voice.

The boy sighed heavily as he ran over Nancy's words in his head for the hundredth time already. "Nancy and I had a fight." He settled on.

Kenra nodded. "You uh.. you just don't seem that upset. I mean like you are but.." Her words were simply based on observations as she listened to the tone of Steve's voice and watched his body language.