Chapter 2- Noah

❀ 

Sofia is sat opposite me scrolling on her phone while I'm supposedly doing my 'homework'. Earlier this morning I got an email from when I first saw the email I was shocked that these trashy shows still existed and that people still actually enter them. I ignored it at first like any other sane person would. No one ever actually meets there soulmate doing these contests its just a way for people to gain money and be on tv. When I thought about people needing money I instantly thought of Sofia. I convinced my parents to give her a flexible full time job at the café but I always feel like im not doing enough. Shes always so tired when the week ends, she puts on a brave face for me but I see past it, shes tired and im worried about her. I'm thinking that entering this contest might be a completely barbaric idea but I made a promise to Sofia that I would write her a romance book and seeing as I have no romantic experience this contest would be great for it. I can also use some of the money if I win to publish the book and become an author like I've always dreamed of being. I know its not a lot but I know it will really help sofia. I know for a fact that if she knew I was entering, she would never let it go and would tease me forever. Im deciding not to tell her unless I actually get a place on the show .

Im filling out a form where I have to upload a picture of myself and what I look for in my soulmate.

I upload a picture of me and my dog Gatsby he is a fluffy golden retriever that I got for my birthday when I was 10 I love him so much and so does sofia and her siblings he is always covered in kiss marks all over his fur. I also upload a picture of me and Eloise baking cookies that my mum took of me when I was looking after sofias siblings , I feel like a big brother to them , and I think it shows my caring compassionate side and my hair looks really good.

For the "Describe what you look for in a partner (looks and personality)" I put

Kind

Compassionate

Smart

Reader

No younger than 17

Sofia stares at me as I stare at her and I laugh. We always end up like this, just staring at each other. She covers her smile and laughs then quickly turns away

"im going to the restroom" she says quietly as she gets up from her chair leaving her coffee and books.

I close my computer and grab our books and head to the checkout I message her to meet me outside in the car and I leave the books on the passenger seat as a surprise for when she gets in.

A few minutes (what felt like hours) later, sofia returns.

"Hey! Sorry I took so long I- oh my goodness! Noah you didn't have to get me those! Thankyou! How can I ever repay you?!" she leans over the seat and hugs me. I breathe in the smell of her perfume, I think its my favourite smell ever.

"Dont worry about it, I just wanted to treat you! how long do we have before we need to pick eloise and oscar up?" I ask her.

"About an hour and a half" she responds.

Her eyes look tired and not as bright and happy as they used to be. The adventure that was once there has disappeared and I know she is disappointed the day is coming to a close. I suggest we go and get ice cream and she smiles. I know how much she loves ice cream and I know how hyper and excited she gets after it. I turn the music up and and glance back at her listening to it. I put the windows down on the car and watch her hair go crazy as I speed up and see her smiling. I take out her phone and take a picture of her looking beautiful while driving that she will probably stick on her wall later on. I love that she keeps all of our memories on one wall. It makes it seem as if we can relive them whenever we want to and they don't fade away forever. When we get to the window the worker hands us our ice creams. Sofia gets cookie dough and I get caramel.

Sofia hands me her ice cream as she starts to pull away from the drive through but just as we're about to leave the worker says " you guys are such a cute couple"

Sofia snorts so loudly the worker looks at her like she has just had a fit "we're not a couple, just best friends"

I smile trying to hold in my laugh as we drive away and park up so we can eat our ice creams.

I let out a snort and we are laughing for the next ten minutes. When I look back at sofia, she has ice-cream all over her nose. I try to tell her but she is laughing so hard. I don't want her to stop laughing, its my favourite sound, it beats the sound of a book page turning. I wish I could frame this moment

"Hang on a minute, what would be so funny about us being a couple anyway?" I ask defensively.

I lean over and tickle her until she is trying to grasp a breath in between giggles and wipe the ice cream on her nose. She is still laughing ten minutes later.