Chapter 4: Calypse's Jealousy - Part 1

Credits to whereisamydunne for the plot in this oneshot !!
Also contains spoilers for book 2
**
Maximilian Calypse was extremely excited for the next few days. Her wizard friends Alec, Dean and Annette Godrick were coming to visit. They had finished their wizard training at Nornui, the island that wizards went to to be educated, and had become good friends with Maxi as they all had an affinity to Earth magic.

As the bell rung throughout Anatol to announce that the visitors had arrived, Maxi jumped up from her seat in the library with Ruth, and ran towards the castle courtyard.

"You're finally here!!" She shrieked, as she tackled Annette in a side hug.
"Ah, if it isn't Lady Maximilian." Dean smirked.
"Hush, Dean," Annette spoke. "It's absolutely marvellous to see you Max, I was getting bored being stuck with the tribe all spring."
"The garden is so bright Max, are you putting that Earth affinity to good use?" said Alec.
"It seems so," she laughed as she hugged the two twins.

                            __________

Riftan watched them interact from a distance before greeting the Godrick siblings. He didn't seem to like how close the boys were to Maxi.
"Why is she hugging them?" He thought.

Despite this, he went over to give the Ulmi tribe members a warm welcome.

__________

"Welcome to Anatol," he said calmly, "And I hope that you'll find your visit enjoyable."
"I'm sure it will be Lord Calypse" said Annette in reply.
"Riftan, please."
"Ok, then thank you for letting us stay here Riftan." Annette said warmly.
The group started to move towards the castle whilst the visitor's luggage was being brought to their rooms.

"I'm starving!" Both of the twins whined. "Is there any chance of food soon?"
"Don't be rude, Dean and Alec!" Annette warned.

"N-no, there will be food ready in t-the dining hall for s-some lunch," Maxi said, "You may g-go to your r-rooms first if you wish t-to clean up beforehand."
"Thank you so much Max," Annette said, and gave Maximilian hug before following a servant upstairs to her room.
"I'm going for a nap," said Alec as he followed a servant upstairs to his own quarters.
"Me too," said Dean, doing the same.

_________

Maxi and Riftan were left alone in the hallway, walking in comfortable silence towards the library, where Maxi had abandoned Ruth to go and greet her friends.

"Did the Ulmi tribe arrive?" Said Ruth sourly, as he flicked through a medicine book in a mournful manner.

"Yes, they did R-Ruth," Maxi replied, "But they're only s-staying a few days, so t-they'll be out of your hair in n-no time."
"I hope to never find them near my hair." He grumbled when he rose from he seat and began walking to the stairwell that led to his tower.

Maxi giggled and even Riftan chuckled when Ruth stumbled on a stair, and both struggled to keep a straight face when he turned back to glare at the couple.

                           ___________

Maximilian made her way down to the dining hall for the feast that welcomed their visitors. When she arrived she sat next to Annette on her left and Riftan on her right.

Riftan struggled to keep up with their conversation, recalling memories from their time at Nornui.

"I seriously thought Roland would blast you if you didn't return that paper in time, Max"
"B-but I had to finish it A-Annette! I couldn't return a h-half completed assignment!"

Riftan didn't pay much attention to it either, until Annette mentioned an admirer...

"Oh he was besotted with you Max!"
"You could see heart shaped in his eyes when he talked to you!" Dean added to the conversation.
"It was hilarious, the fire mage infatuated with the earth mage!" Alec laughed.

The knights went silent, and turned to look at what Lord Calypse thought of what the dwarves were saying.

Jealousy flowed off him in waves. His jaw was stiffly set and his body completely tended up.
Maxi saw what was happening and gently placed her hand on his thigh, calming him down slowly.

Then, the sound of a bell ringing interrupted their meal, signaling a visitor. "Who could that be?" wondered Hebaron aloud. "Were you expecting any other visitors Milady?" said Gabel. "No... no one else." Maxi replied, confused.

As Riftan and Maxi rose from their seat, Rodrigo, Castle Calypse's butler, entered the hall. "There's a visitor for you, Milady."
All eyes turned to Maxi as she wondered who could it be.

The door flung open, and out came..
"Roland?!"