Chapter 2: The Dining Hall (Hebaron is screwed)

It was a cold winter night at Calypse Castle, and the Remdragon Knights were sitting, chatting and feasting on their supper.

Riftan Calypse sat at the table brooding, watching the door impatiently. "If the wind changes Commander, your face will stay like that" said Hebaron Nirta, sipping his wine. "Sir, I'm sure Milady will be here soon, so just enjoy the feast while you're waiting." spoke Gabel calmly.

"If she doesn't come down soon, the Commander is going to hit the roof" Gabel whispered to Hebaron. "Not from anger, mind you" Hebaron laughed. Riftan turned his gaze towards him. "Do you wish to die, Nirta?" Riftan asked coldly. Hebaron and Gabel quickly became silent. Once Riftan had turned to the door however, they struggled to contain their laughter.

                             ____________

Maxi hurriedly raced her way down the long staircase, towards the Dining Hall. "Riftan won't be happy about my being late!" she thought anxiously. As she came to the doors leading into the hall, she heard the knights laughing and talking. She smiled, and walked in through the door.

Riftan immediately calmed down when Maxi entered the hall. "She looks beautiful in that dress," he thought. The hall was filled with welcomes and cheers for Maximilian as she entered the room. She quickly blushed from her ears to her toes, and all Riftan could think about was how gorgeous she was.

She quickly made her way over to Riftan and sat down beside him. He gave her a big grin, and reached for her hand. He then placed a kiss on her cheek and whispered, "I missed you very much". She looked up at him and her eyes shone from the candlelight. "I was o-only gone for an h-hour Riftan" she giggled. The couple chatted quietly for a few minutes, until Hebaron Nirta noticed they were holding hands.

                           ___________

Sir Hebaron Nirta was a prankster, and everyone knew it. April Fools Day was his favourite holiday, and he loved teasing and joking with everyone around him. That's why, when he saw Riftan and Maximilian holding hands, he came up with a devious plan.

He tapped the rim of his goblet with his nearby spoon, and the hall became quiet. He then rose and loudly said, "I believe a toast is in order, so I would like to call on our Lord to say it." He grinned as he looked around the hall.

Gabel groaned and buried his head in his hands, Uslin stared at him and Ruth choked on his wine. The other knights looked around nervously.

It was an unspoken rule among the Remdragon Knights, that you must not disturb the Commander when he is with his wife, which meant no requesting for him if he is "occupied" unless it's an emergency, and certainly not when he is having a form of physical interaction with the lady, such as holding hands.

Riftan glared daggers at Nirta and muttered under his breath "Oh, you're going to die tomorrow Hebaron." He was just about to rise up out of his seat to strangle Nirta when Maxi placed a hand on his leg. He looked up at her, shocked and confused. She stood up from her seat and raised her goblet of wine.

"I know I am not y-your lord," she said clearly. "But I hope my toast will b-be sufficient." She smiled at Nirta, who had begun to stare at her. She was still holding Riftan's hand. "Damn, she ruined my plan!" he thought. "Still, she isn't easily lead on"

"I would l-like to t-toast to the Remdragon Knights," a big cheer went up, and Maxi laughed. "And t-to our r-resident wizard Ruth," another loud cheer went up and Ruth looked around sleepily, dazed from drinking too much wine. "And finally, t-to our Lord, Riftan Calypse. You all w-work tirelessly to k-keep Anatol safe, and everyone g-greatly appreciates it."

The entire hall started to clap, and finally Hebaron spoke and said "Last but not least, let us toast to the brave and beautifully Lady of Anatol," Maxi blushed furiously. "If it weren't for her, the Commander would have driven us and himself insane by now" the men began to laugh, and Riftan glared at Hebaron, but if you looked closely, there was a smile on his face.

"To our Lady" Hebaron said. "To our Lady!" the men replied as they downed their wine goblets. Maxi and Hebaron sat down and Riftan said " You're lucky I didn't strangle you there Hebaron." as he grabbed Maxi and led her outside of the hall, and up the stairs towards their chambers. Maxi giggled and laughed the whole way up.

                            ____________

The next night, Hebaron trudged his way back to his room, exhausted from the training that the Commander had put him through. "Oh," he sighed, "I must be more clever when trying to trick the lady from now on."

He pulled off his armour, and fell into bed. He dreamed of banquets and scary lords and kind ladies all night.