eight ༄

Two weeks later...

His mind runs at a thousand miles per hour. Nothing can get rid of what he's feeling. The burning, acidic like pain is flooding throughout his bones. George's whole body aches, he feels a slight tension in his legs as he pulls them against his chest. He hasn't gotten out of bed in days. George has glued himself here, unwilling to get up.

He doesn't have anything to wake up to anymore. The door is flung wide open, revealing the room across the hall. Dream's room. It's empty. Just like it has been for the past two weeks. Living here is boring without Dream. His mother came to visit again the other day, begging George for money. She continued to shame her son and call him awful names straight to his face. But it felt a whole lot different this time, because Dream wasn't there to comfort him.

The house is silent. Dream's monitor is pitch black, his room is exactly how he had left it the last time he stayed here. Dirty clothes still thrown across the floor, his bed a mess, and an indention left in the sheets from where Dream had slept.

Neither of them have really talked a whole lot since that night at the diner. They've each just kind of given each other space. Unneeded space to say the least, and it's making George's skin crawl. He's gotten so used to sleeping in the same house as Dream, that falling asleep without him is almost impossible. He tosses and turns every night. He wakes up every morning expecting Dream to be sound asleep in his room across the hall, but he's never there anymore.

It's lonely without Dream here. George has hardly spoken to any of his friends since that night. They've reached out to him. Especially Sapnap. But George just finds it easier to ignore their messages. He responds every once in awhile when he feels his social battery needs attention. But other than that, George is alone most of the time. It's degrading. He's not sure what to do with himself.

George looks out his window. It's getting late already. The sun is setting and within the next few hours, the moon will take it's place in the sky. And then George will sulk, because nighttime is saddening and it's way easier to hide his emotions in the dark, rather than in the sun. He takes a deep breath in, his glance falling to his bedside table. The sudden notification on his phone draws all of his attention. The screen brightens, letting off a buzz to signal to George that he's gotten a notification.

He leans over to check it, but it isn't of importance to him at the moment. A few more minutes of silence floods the room, and George's fingertips are itching with want. A sudden desire he can't quite control. It's something he's been wanting to do for two weeks straight, but hasn't had the courage to do so. George gives in. Soon picking up his phone and saying 'fuck it'. He taps on his contacts with shaky fingers. Scrolling to the one called 'Dream'.

George sits there, with Dream's contact pulled up. He's plainly staring down at his phone. As if he's waiting for something to happen on its own. As if the call button were to push itself and call Dream on its own. But that's not how it works, and George knows it fairly well. Calling Dream shouldn't feel like such a chore. It shouldn't be this hard to just tap the button and wait for him to pick up. George sits here, knees to his chest, his entire body aching. He wants to call Dream, he does. It's just hard to actually commit to the idea when he's got a thousand different thoughts floating around freely in his mind. Things that tell him this isn't a good idea. Thoughts saying that Dream will hate him if George calls.

They're all untrue, obviously. But George doesn't realize that. He's just afraid of loosing his best friend even more than he has already. They've drifted so much these past couple of weeks and he's not sure this simple phone call is going to be able to restore all of that distance. But maybe it will, and he's just freaking out for nothing. All George knows is that he really fucking wants to talk to his friend again. And so without any second thoughts, he hits that call button. The phone rings, he's waiting for Dream to pick up. Not expecting him to answer as quickly as he does. Dream picks up almost immediately as if he were anticipating the call.