Chapter 24 - Alpha Lace

"Thank you for making me accept this request." I whisper to Ariven as we cuddle in bed, the television playing some gaming channel on YouTube that Ariven watches while I doze on his chest, his hands gently rubbing circles on my back. An hour has gone by since the bond broke between Mika and I, pack mates coming to inform me that he is still outside waiting for me to come and talk. For him to apologize for the years of hurt he has given me. I just tell them to make sure that his pack stays away for the wolf to grieve and that no one attacks him. It's the basic thing I can do for Mika considering our history and lack of animosity he has shown on this trip.
"You don't have to thank me. I tricked and betrayed your trust to get you here." Ariven answers and I smile, planting a kiss over his heart and snuggling closer to the man below me. This reaction gives me a deep chuckle in response, his own light kiss being placed on my forehead before he continues to draw circles on my back and I contently doze in and out of sleep.
"Gem, John said I could find you in here." Lace's voice calls out before she enters my room, a look of surprise on her face when she spots Ariven and I cuddling. I sigh, already knowing where this conversation is going as I climb off of Ariven and walk towards the soon to be Alpha.
"Before you ask, yes the bond broke. No, I do not care for your brother. No, I will not mate with him now or ever. Yes, we can build a friendship." I state before the blond can fire her questions at me. Lace chuckles, leaning against the wall as she rolls her eyes for a moment.
"Honestly, you deserve better. I was just coming to ask if you can come help me dress for the ceremony. Mika is already at our house since the idiot finally regrets what he has done to you." My friend retorts with, waving at Ariven before taking my hand in hers and dragging me out the door.
"Have fun Darling!" Ariven calls out instead of coming to save me from Lace's clutches.

...

"I told you this dress would look amazing on you Gem!" Lace exclaims , pushing me towards the floor length mirror with our reflection staring back at us. My eyes widen at the floor length silver fit and flair gown adorning my body, the simple sweet heart neckline and long sleeves giving me an ethereal glow as my prismatic hair flows around me in loose curls. Lace has done an amazing job on me, her skilled hands placing just enough makeup to highlight my features and making me look like the Goddess I am.
"You look amazing too! I always said gold is your colour." I compliment, moving aside so the blond she-wolf can see her reflection as well. A strapless A-line gold dress hands from her body, minimal jewellery and makeup on as the power in her blood radiates off of her. She holds herself in a graceful way that demands the attention of the room as a true Alpha should and I could not be any prouder to be called her friend. The sky is dark as night settles in and the half moon is high in the sky as the ceremony is waiting to begin. I turn to study Lace, seeing her father's determination that I remember Alpha Sorus having and the grace of Luna Reena. They would have been proud to see their daughter being the Alpha this pack needs. A knock on the door alerts our attention to someone coming in and Arien scent wafts through as soon as it is opened,
"Sorry to intrude but the ceremony starts in tent minutes and I came to gather Geminie." He states, coming to stand beside me and hold out his hand. I happily take it, watching as he bows and places a kiss on top before pulling me to his side gently.
[If he isn't your second chance mate I want to meet your mother and yell at her myself!] Lace links me, causing me to blush and glare at the soon to be Alpha. She just smirks, waving her hand in a "shoo-shoo" gesture that has Ariven chuckling. We wish her luck before exiting the room and making our way down the stairs of the familiar pack house.
"My room used to be in the attic." I reminisce quietly, stopping mid step and turn to look back in the direction of where the attic entrance is. I wonder what happened to my oasis away from the Blakes and the pack. Where I would go and nurse my wounds from a rough day of punishment. Did they find the stash of food I had hidden? Was it demolished and turned into something new? I want to know these answers but also want to keep the past in the past. I no longer felt hatred and fear towards this place, towards the pack, and dwelling on the past is something I decided I no longer what to do as I take one last look up the stairs and turn back to continue our descent. Only a few Omegas are working the celebration today, volunteering to perform the jobs as cooks and servers while the rest of the pack witness Lace taking power over Hidden Claws. It is definitely a step up to how Omegas were treated a little over a week ago with some of the Omegas able to openly train with the rest of the pack and have gained weight from proper nutrition. A step in the right direction with a new reign if you ask me. Ariven and I continue to chat about training that will take place tomorrow and which wolves will be too drunk to focus.
"Have you told them about a specific fiery tempered wolf and her husband coming to help with training?" Ariven asks as we enter the large back yard and make our way to our seats.
"Nope. I plan to leave it till last minutes. Amberle wants to have some fun with this pack and see where the defenses fall short." I answer chuckling, already picturing the chaos my friend will cause. Since becoming a Mother, Amberle has had a rough time getting away from her three children and focus more on being an Alpha and mother instead of helping to train allied packs. With Blue he will take over and watch his grand-pups, Amberle jumped at the chance when I called last night before my recon mission on the soulless to join me in training Hidden Claws. I have a feeling the she wolf just wants to make Mika's life miserable for a few days and am fine with it.
Ariven chuckles as he helps me to take a seat in front of the stage, a stage set up under the ancient maple tree that has been standing on Hidden Claw's territory since ancient times its roots buried and slinking throughout the pack lands. Mika is already sitting in his designated spot, his eyes scanning my body which I ignore, instead I turn my focus to the man beside me and happily straighten the tie he is wearing that has shifted out of place.
"I cannot wait to get out of this suit." Ariven states with an exasperated sigh. I roll my eyes at his pouting and snuggling close to his side, waiting for midnight when the moon is high in the sky and the ceremony to begin. We don't wait long when the unlit torches sudden ignite, the flames a golden hue instead of the regular red orange and yellow and Lace's scent drifts in on the wind. Those seated rise, turning to face the new Alpha as Lace with her blond hair piled on top of her head and flowing dress walks down the golden carpet. She extrudes grace and power in each step, her head held high and shoulders back – A true Alpha. I look to the moon for a brief moment, sending a silent prayer for her rule to be strong and her parents to watch over her before my attention is turned back to Lace who pauses to smile at me, a smile that I return with my own encouraging one as she continues to the stage where she bows to her brother. As the current Alpha, it is Mika's job to pass down the title.
"Guests, you may be seated." Mika calls out, the crowd quickly taking their seat. Mika turns to his sister, a podium with a crescent moon shaped bowl made of gold between them filled with pink water from the lake we played in as children. It magic the core to Hidden Claws and rooted deep into the maple tree.
"Today Lace Alibaster will be transferred the title as Alpha to Hidden Claws." Mika begins, staring at his sister with proud eyes as he takes a cup of the water and hands it to her.
"Do you Lace Promise to uphold the law of the pack and that of werewolf kind, to protect and serve those we call family in Hidden Claws?" He continues. Lace smiles, looking over the crowd and to the maple tree behind her before turning back to Mika.
"I do." She answers without hesitation, determination in her pale green eyes.
"Please, take this cup and drink the water of the Crescent Moon Lake to show the unity of the pack and the magic that sustains it." Mika returns, lace gingerly taking the small cup and drinking the contents inside in one quick gulp. A shimmer of rose gold surrounds her, surprising me as the magic helps to solidify and grow the power of her blood. She is strong, stronger than Mika, and with some training would make an incredible Alpha.
"Do you, Lace, accept the responsibilities that comes with caring for a pack and the land the pack owns. To abide by the natural law set by the Moon Goddess and Deities themselves?" Mika asks as he takes the cup from her hand and sets it down on the podium.
"I do." Her voice radiates her growing power, the wolves in the crowd shivering, ready to submit to the Alpha female at a moment's notice and pride swells inside me.
"The please, slice your hand and drip your blood into the bowl with me." Mika states, handing a clean knife to Lace before taking his own. The siblings each hold their right hand up taking the sharp golden blade and slicing along the inside of their palm. The iron scent of blood fills the air, one more powerful than the other, and instantly you can tell who is meant to be Alpha and who is not. The sibling with their cut palms facing each other, grasp one another's hands, their grip releasing their mixed blood with gentle drops into the pink water, dying it a darker pink. My mind flashes to the night of their parents death, fear taking over as I relive the Luna and her crying but something else catches my attention, a pair of ice blue eyes hidden in the shadows. A pair of ice blue eyes I know all to well.
[Gem!] Ariven shouts into the link, dragging me from my memories and back to the present where Mika hands lace a gold towel to wipe her hand, the knife wound now gone and healed.
[You okay?] He asks and I turn to look at a pair of concerned forest green eyes. I nod, leaning closer and breathing in his scent, thinking for a moment that those eyes could not be a coincidence. Where they are, trouble is bound to follow.
[I need to call my father later.] I answer before closing the link and focusing on the ceremony before me.
"I declare Lace Alibaster the new Alpha of Hidden Claws, may her reign be strong!" Mika calls out, the wolves of Hidden Claws taking a knee as a resounding "May her reign be strong" echoes around us. Mika steps back as he too bends a knee in submission to his sister while Lace finishes the ceremony by taking the golden bowl and walking towards the roots of the maple tree. First, her right hands becomes claws and she leave her marks at the base. Then she takes the water and slowly pours it onto the fresh claw marks. She is now the Alpha and one I could not be prouder of. Tomorrow we will sign an alliance treaty and continue training both the pack wolves and her as the Alpha.
"I just want to thank you all. Thank you for believing in me, for trusting me long enough to stay in our declining pack and for helping me train those in unfortunate circumstances due to the previous Beta's of this pack." Lace begins, returning the bowl to the podium and facing her pack.
"Today marks a new beginning, one where Geminie, the Future Moon Goddess, and I are friends and allies, one where Omegas have just as much rights and opportunities as the rest of the pack. One in which Hidden Claws will be on par with Blood Moon and Silver Crystel Cresent." She pauses, taking a deep breath as she looks to the moon with a sad smile on her face, a smile I have seen one to many times on the anniversary of her parents death.
"I will make my parents and ancestors proud and the pack so strong that no soulless will dare to attack us." She finishes, a look of determination on her face. Then we hear it.
A long slow howl rings through the night and the crowd freeze. We are under attack.

 We are under attack