Chapter 14 - A Place To Call Home

Chapter 14 – A Place To Call Home

I frown as my gaze focuses on the trees outside, staying close to the window and as far away from the others in the room. Alex sighs in frustration while my father sips his coffee awkwardly. Ira was called for an emergency after my shower, leaving an acolyte to lead us to her office and wait for her return to discus a good position for my own pack to be built. Amberle, to my amusement, decided to curl up on the sofa to take a nap. You would think a strong Alpha would be more energetic but seeing as only a few years ago she was in my position as a rogue I actually envy her ability to sleep when ever.
"Gem, I just don't understand why you do not want to go to your father's pack." Alex growls out, running a hand through his hair in frustration after a moment of silence causing me to close the book I was reading to glare at him.
"You would be safer there and not have to worry about pack duties. There will be protection for you and everything." My brother continues, causing my frustration to grow. The same argument all over again just hours before choosing a pack location for myself.
"Enough Alex!" I snap, a growl of warning following my words. My blood is boiling in anger with my brother sounding like a broken record every day after meeting my father. A record that I was tempted to shatter in this moment.
"I get it, you want the structure of an already established pack but have you thought about my feelings? Everyone there is a stranger to me, they will be questioning my every movement either secretly or openly. With my little brother, they will be wondering if I will be stealing his position as the next Alpha." I start listing the problems I already know will arise with joining my father's pack and sigh. As happy as I am with getting to know my real family, I needed my freedom, a place to call home and my own and a chance at a proper life for myself. I am tired of the gazes of others and the ridiculed and distrustful looks from those who do not know me and refuse to get to know me.
"You can either fallow me and help me build a place where we can be ourselves and be free, or you can join my father in his pack. But I need my freedom." I finish, ending this discussion and turning on my heels, intending to walk out the office and calm down. Ira can come and find me later.
"Gem where are you going?" Alex growls out, his frustration radiating off of him in waves.
"Away from here. When you are ready to get your head out of your ass, come find me." I snap back over my shoulder, pushing the door open only to come face to face with a confused looking Ira.
"Uh, is everything okay Little Wolf?" Her voice calms my nerves slightly as the one person who respects my wishes is now standing before me.
"Just the usual argument Ira." My father's voice sounds behind me, his hand now on my shoulder as he gives it a reassuring squeeze.
"But we are ready to find Geminie a place for her pack." He adds, a look of pride in his eyes. Relief pours down like a fresh cooling rain on a hot summer day and I smile, grateful for his understanding. Its not that I don't want to be in the same pack as my father, its that I am worried his pack will think I am taking away what rightfully belongs to Connor. At least with creating my own pack, my family in Northern Snow can escape the northern climate of Canada and come relax far from pack duties.
"Well if that's the case, I know I said I have many sites for you to see and decide but the emergency that I had to deal with had me stumbling on a map of a specific area that also includes the one thing you really wanted." Ira continues, winking at me. My smile widens even more at the mention of my request, a place that would be safe for Ira and the unicorns with just as much magic for them. Only Ira and I knew about this request as the she-wolf had quickly gain my trust and respect in the short time we have known each other, letting me know my feelings were valid and my wants and needs were okay for me to have and obtain. I knew Ira would always be on my side if I needed someone to talk to and confide in and this she-wolf has not let me down yet.
A loud sigh is audible from the room, gaining a glare from Ira and an eye roll from me.
"Mister Alex, you are more than welcomed to find another pack if you are unhappy with Geminie's decisions." As if speaking to a misbehaving child, Ira scolds Alex on my behalf and I sent a silent thank you. A moment of silence passes before she smiles and I assume that Alex has given in.
"Good, glad to know you reluctantly will follow her lead. Now, I think it's time to go as the warrior I sent to scout the area is waiting for us to create your new home!" With that, she takes my hand and begins leading me out of the winding maze of the temple. A bitter sweet feeling rises inside me as I look around the building that provided me safety and security. A place that revealed the truth and helped me finally regain my freedom and life.
"You can always come visit Little Wolf." Ira states, the she-wolf most likely sensing my feelings on leaving the Temple. I nod, allowing her to guide me down an unfamiliar hallway and outside to an area I have not explored yet. The first thing to greet me is Alex's truck, the tow still as dinged up as I remember but I have a new found gratitude to the somewhat unreliable vehicle. With Alex at the wheel, this truck brought me to safety after one of the worst day I have experience. Next to the truck is something I did not expect to see as I take a step towards the 1970 Dodge Charger R/T in matt black, one I am itching to climb in and drive.
"I know it's been a few days but Happy Birthday Gem." Alex stands beside me, a bashful look on his face as I turn to look at my brother in shock, the anger from his over protective nature over me fading away fast.
"Thank you!" I whisper, instinctively giving my brother a hug which seems to shock him as our fights have been causing tension between us,
"You know I would do anything for you Gems." He whispers back and I nod, taking in his comforting scent. Even if we fight, Alex will always be there for me and I for him
"Glad to see you two made up but we need to hit the road. It's about a days drive to where I want to take you!" Ira calls out and I smile, Alex pulling away from me to hand me a set of keys nodding his head in the direction of my car. With a childish squeal, I rush to the drivers side, climbing in and adjusting the seat and Mirrors before starting the car, the purr of the engine having a childish grin on my face. Ira, being the navigator of this trip, joins me in my car.
"Comfy." She states, buckling in and putting on a pair of sunglasses. I chuckle, putting the car in drive just as a dazed Amberle climbs into her own car and winks at me before I start the journey to my new pack.

...

The journey took twenty four hours to complete as Ira had stated yesterday, casing us to stop at a motel as soon as the sky turn dark.
"Double Baconator, extra-large fries and a large Coca-Cola for Gems." My father calls out as soon as he enters the room Ira and I share, Alex and Connor walking in both arms full of take out.
"I wanted the same!" Amberle calls out, coming over and sneaking a fry from my bag making me roll my eyes and shove the fire haired she-wolf away with a playful growl.
"OOOO feisty Geminie." She chuckles out, taking a bite of the stolen fry. Alex chuckles, handing her a bag as well before handing Ira one and taking a seat on the floor with a sigh.
"So what's the plan when we get to this perfect pack place?" My brother asks, tearing into a burger of his own. Ira holds out a finger, her mouth full of her own food with a look of bliss on her face.
"One, I am so glad to be out with you and taking you to your new pack location. I haven't had a burger from any fast food joint since the 1970's." She says before taking a sip of her drink and causing my father to chuckle.
"That's like fifty years ago!" Connor exclaims in shock speaking through a mouth full of food.
"Connor, chew swallow, speak!" Amberle scolds and I high five the feisty she-wolf as my father chuckles and Connor looks away embarrassed.
"Yep, and two- there is a wolf that works for the temple already there and making sure the area is clear of Rogues and Soulless. We will meet up with him tomorrow." Ira continues, answering both of my brothers.
"Can we trust him?" My father asks and Ira smiles.
"All I can say is he had a rough past similar to Geminie here. Considering he is a Rogue himself; he may ask to join the pack." I smile at the prospect of my first pack mate after Alex. I eat in silent, thinking of what this wolf may be like, hoping he has some form of training that can be used to help grow the pack in the next few weeks. I want to be stronger than Hidden Claws.
"If he is a good wolf, I'll let him join as a third member." I state, already seeing Alex ready to argue. He sends me a pointed look; one I ignore for the moment as group finishes our meal of Wendy's fast food before my father stating we should get to bed for the long journey tomorrow and making sure to drag Alex out behind him.
"Your brother is over protective." Amberle states and I groan, laying back onto my bed.
"That's a good thing. My brother was one of my tormenters growing up." She continues on and I sigh.
"He has always been there for me in Hidden Claws; helping and protecting me when I needed it. But now that we are away from the pack and I finally can shift, his overprotectiveness is getting to be suffocating. I am no longer a wolfless Omega, I am an Alpha and the Future Moon Goddess. I need to be able to learn and grow." I explain, closing my eyes and releasing a deep sigh. Since becoming a Rogue and learning my true heritage, I have been able to experience life without the fear of a beating or being screamed at. I have been able to train both my human and wolf form without worry and have finally been able to eat my fill of food without any worry or fear of consequences.
"Hopefully he eases up after a few weeks of starting the new pack. Your brother loves you even after learning you two aren't related." Ira chimes in and I smile.
"Hopefully. If not I will have to kick his ass a few times." I agree yawning as sleep creeps in and I drift off. Tomorrow I will finally be able to see my new pack.

 Tomorrow I will finally be able to see my new pack