Chapter 9 - Graduation Blues

I quietly stand off to the side while wolves in their graduation gowns run around chattering away with their friends. The well wishes and 'I'll miss you" sound around the room. Left alone, I realize that although no one caused me trouble here at school I was left with no friends and spent my "golden" high school years as a lone wolf. The halls behind the gymnasium where graduation will take place buzz with an excited and nervous energy.
"Geminie are you ready?" Mrs. Horris asks. The wolf with graying hair before me looks around the halls and smiles. As our Principal, she has been the wolf to have mentored me and helped me through many things since entering grade nine. She understood me right away the first day we met when she watched me faint my first day at school. AS we sat in her office, my heart racing thinking that I would be in trouble, Mrs. Horris surprised me by handing me a warm meal and a glass of orange juice. How her calm eyes carefully took in my thin body as she asked me one question – Are you an omega.
I felt compelled to explain everything to her from my life as an Omega and what lead to that position being place onto me. How this small chilly and warm bread she placed before me was my first meal in four days and how I never intended to faint and be late. It was this honesty that led to the Principal into helping me without her help, I would not have been able to graduate today. I would not be valedictorian or have the highest grades at the end of each and every class.
"I think I am." I answer, seeing Mrs. Horris nod as she fixes the golden sash and gives me an encouraging smile. We make our way to the front of the graduation line, faculty nodding at me while the four other students with exceptional grades silently wave. The exciting buzz in the halls slowly die down as the music slowly begins to play and the doors to the gymnasium are opened. The faculty begins their entrance first, taking slow measured steps as they walk forward barely paying any attention to the crowd. The rest of us follow behind as parents cheering their child's name in praises at their success in graduation the moment they appear in their view. Envy swells inside me wishing I has their luck. Had parents that loved me and were proud for my accomplishments. But wishing leaves an empty feeling and a bitter taste of resentment that I did not need. Tomorrow I will be far away from everyone and with time, will find my own place in this life. With the procession leading to the stage, I force a happy smile on my face and follow the few students with honors of sitting amongst the faculty while the rest of the graduates file into the rows of seats below. As the last row take their seat, the ceremony begins.
"Please welcome this year's valedictorian Geminie Blake." After the introductory speech made by the principal congratulating us on a job well done in our success as graduates as well as how much of an honor it has been teaching the future of each pack in the area, my name is called. I take a deep breath before standing, knowing my speech will be the last one before diplomas are handed out. I take measured steps towards the podium, shake hands with and turn to face the crowd waiting for the few cheers and wolf whistles thrown my way to quiet down.
"Good afternoon faculty, parents and guardians, visiting Alphas and lastly my fellow graduates." I begin, taking a look around and spotting the Beta couple watching me. But there were only here for appearances and nothing more as representatives for the pack. Even though I hated the feeling, disappointment still washes over me while I hide it behind the smile I keep on my lips.
"Four years ago we stepped into these doors as students, eyes wide in curiosity at what would be the building to mold us for our future. I remember the first days of freshman year and one thing that stuck with me was the quote "Even if you take three steps forward you'll find yourself being forced to take one step back but keep moving because great things await." That was our orientation and the first words we were greeted by Mrs. Horris with and to this day those words ring true for each and everyone of us." I take a deep breath and picture the future I will have after today, the obstacles I will face when I leave my pack and think. The people and wolves I will one day meet and where I want life to take me. A life I call my own.
" As we move on from these moments and friends we made, we will face more challenges along the way, meet new people and learn new things. We will go through new experiences from leading a pack, to protecting the ones we love, to even going on a journey to find ourselves. But today, know this." I pause again, the smile on my face morphing from fake to a genuine grin as the endless possibilities in front of me after today bring a peace of mind, my own words encouraging me to look towards my own future.
"We did it, we made it through high school and we will make it through anything as long as we look forward to a new tomorrow and try our best to live our lives to the fullest." A cheer erupts after my words and the staff thanks me for my speech as I take my seat once again. Another few hours and today will end and my freedom will begin. I could do this.

...

"Geminie Blake. Honor student, valedictorian, artistic paw award, silver literature award and the golden halo award for most community hours served in the graduating class of twenty seventeen." I stand as my name is announced, walking up to the podium once again to shake hands with the faculty standing there, the heads of the English departments, Art departments and the Vice Principal each hold an award and envelop in their hands while I take my diploma from Mrs. Horris. The trophies gleam in the light as I accept them, quickly hiding the envelopes with the monetary awards into the folder my diploma comes in while I thank each of these wolves for their teachings and guidance throughout my years in the school.
I take my seat again after pictures are taken for the school website, pictures I plan to save and print for when I find my own home, and take the time other wolves are called to the stage to look at the halo in hands, the paw covered in dripping paint and the silver quilt on a silver book each set on a wooden base. These awards reminded me of how well I had done these last four years while living in hell within Hidden Claws and that I will thrive where ever I go. My determination to leave growing stronger once again. As the list of graduates receive their diploma and rewards and the ceremony comes to an end, I make the trek back to the pack house alone, taking the time to enjoy the fall surroundings, reminding myself that fate is in my own hands.

 As the list of graduates receive their diploma and rewards and the ceremony comes to an end, I make the trek back to the pack house alone, taking the time to enjoy the fall surroundings, reminding myself that fate is in my own hands