8

Harry looked up when the headmaster, deputy head and defence teacher emerged from his memory.

'Do you remember what happened when you stabbed the diary?' Teresa asked.

'He screamed, like I killed him, that's how it looked. Ginny woke up right after and Voldemort vanished.'

'He screamed because that diary held a piece of Voldemort's soul,' Teresa sat beside Harry, the other two took their seats as well.

'What do you mean Teresa?' Olivia asked.

'When I heard Harry was transferring here I decided to do some research. From all the information I could find, there was no remains of any kind of Voldemort in the house. If what we were told was true, the killing curse rebounded off Harry onto Voldemort then there would have been a body. So I tried to find out as much as I could about Voldemort, one thing I did find out was he was obsessed with immortality. I believe he made a horcrux, which is his soul, split from the whole and hidden outside his body in certain objects. The diary had a piece of his soul, that's why he screamed, why the memory of a young Voldemort disappeared. The diary soul was sucking the life essence out of the girl, he would have returned to full health and been young if he had finished.'

'So if he has a piece of his soul out there, that's why he never really died back then?' Harry asked.

'Yes, but I'm sure he would have protected something so precious to him, so how did it get into the hands of an eleven year old girl?'

'Lucius Malfoy, he was a death eater yet got out of Azkaban by saying he was under the imperius curse. We bumped into him at the beginning of that year, in Flourish and Blotts, he was putting down the Weasley family, they're poor. Ginny had a second-hand cauldron and books, he picked up one of the books in the cauldron, sneered then dropped it back, he slipped the diary in at the same time. I figured it out after the chamber, but I only did because of Dobby, the house elf. He kept giving me warnings, trying to stop me returning to Hogwarts, he belonged to Malfoy. When I was in Dumbledore's office afterwards, Malfoy turned up, with Dobby, he kept gesturing with his head towards Malfoy. When he left I asked Dumbledore if I could have the diary, I raced after Malfoy and thrust it into his hands, saying I was returning his book to him. He handed it to Dobby, who was set free since I snuck my sock into it. Then Malfoy tried to kill me, he got as far as avada before Dobby sent him flying.'

'By the sound of it Voldemort gave one of his death eaters a horcrux to keep safe, why did he slip it to the girl?'

'He wanted to discredit Arthur Weasley, he had some muggle protection act going. What better way to do that then have his daughter release a basilisk which would kill muggleborns.'

'It sounds like he did this for his own gain,' Olivia said.

'I don't think he knew exactly what that diary was, just that it will possess someone then have them release the basilisk,' Octavia said.

'I think you're right. I'm not an expert in horcruxes but I believe I'm right. Harry, once the expert gets here can he see your memory?'

Harry nodded, 'Yeah, I have to ask though, if he did do that, split his soul, is that why he looks weird in my dreams, like he is not a real person, or got a real body?'

'That and the fact the killing curse rebounded onto him. He couldn't die but having a piece of his soul outside his body doesn't stop is body being destroyed so he's had to rebuild or reform some type of body. The curse destroyed his body, which is why nothing was found in your home. You mentioned the unicorns, that is also a contributing factor, its a curse to kill such a pure magical animal. Over time he's found a way to get a small body back, how I have no idea,' Teresa said.