5

Harry was unpacking his trunk, putting his clothes in the wardrobe, when a boy with long blond hair stepped into the room.

'Oh, you must be the new student from England.'

'Yeah, Harry, Harry Potter.'

'Really, sorry, I'm Dan Grafton or Daniel but everyone calls me Dan.'

The boys shook hands, 'Yes, really,' Harry shrugged, 'It's nice to meet you. But um, I really hated the attention I got back home, it won't happen here, will it?'

'Nah, naturally we've all heard of you, but we weren't involved in the war or anything. You might be a bit of a curiosity at first, but I doubt it will last more than a day or so.'

'I hope so, anyway, have you finished classes?'

'Just starting actually, even though it's different time zones, those portkeys are charmed so you will arrive at or near the same time as you left. I'm not sure how they work, it's something to do with working the time to be the same. Anyway, I just finished breakfast, came to get my books. So when do you start classes?'

'The day after tomorrow, I have to go shopping for my uniform and school supplies tomorrow.'

'I'll fill you in on stuff when I'm done for the day. You can just look around if you want.'

'Yeah, I probably will, thanks and it's nice to meet you Dan.'

'You too Harry.'

Harry figured he would go for a walk, check out his new school. He stepped out of the room and saw a row of doors. He realised it was the other boy's dorm rooms. He did see a door at the end that had a sign, boy's bathroom. He headed downstairs to have a good look around the common room, completely different from Hogwarts. There was a small fireplace, but there were a lot of what looked like muggle ceiling fans. He had been informed that with the heat, all the buildings were fitted to keep everyone cool. Even if there winters weren't that cold, cool, yes but not cold, the fireplace would only be lit if it was needed, which according to the deputy head, it hadn't been lit in the last three winters. Harry couldn't imagine not having cold and snow in winter. It was winter and cold in England, here in Australia was almost summer and really hot.

He left the common room which lead him to a long corridor with doors here and there, but Harry went the other way, following the signs that said exit. Hopefully that would lead him outside. Harry wanted to see what the Australian summer was like out in the sun.

He took one step outside the doors and was blasted by the heat, he quickly stepped back into the shade.

'It takes a bit to adapt to the heat Harry, a few well-placed cooling charms will help you.'

Harry looked up at the headmaster, 'Thank you sir, I thought I was going to faint.'

'That is why I suggested shopping for clothes tomorrow as well. The clothes in England are made for the climate, so even if you can buy summer clothes there they aren't the same as how we make them here. One bit of information I forgot to mention, the students are allowed shorts in summer, or skirts for the girls, depending on their preference. Naturally they are part of the uniform, also different shirts which will be a lot lighter.'

'I don't even own shorts right now, England's summer doesn't get that hot. But I can feel it here, I suppose coming from such cold conditions to this heat will make me feel it more though.'

'Yes, normally if we know we're going to get a new student from overseas we try to arrange it so they arrive during early spring so they can adapt. With your situation, or what Mr. Black explained, you could not remain there any longer.'