• Chapter Five •

Zhongli sighed.
Why was his house always ruined?

"Could that be just a coincidence?"
I asked, staring down at the burn.

"Let me have a look... no, the number is burnt too neatly to be a coincidence. This has to be the work of those vampires again." He concluded, rubbing his eyes.

"Then... what could three mean? Three... minutes? Hours?" 

He glanced around, signalling to me that he was thinking about it.
"Time seems like the most logical answer... how about we try three hours first? What time is it now?"

I looked at the clock on the wall.

"It's ten o'clock. It will be 1am three hours from now, what should we do?"

"I will stay up until 1am and see if anything happens. Would you... like to stay here for the night? So that we can easily reach each other if needed."

I agreed, and Zhongli smiled gratefully when I did.
"If nothing happens in three hours, let's wait three days."

"Okay. In the letter they wrote it said to stop looking for them, and we didn't... so it has to be some sort of clue or countdown."

"I think you are right. It also said... that they would burn Liyue to the ground if we didn't stop looking.  And now that they've burnt a number into the table... well, you know."

"If that is the case, then... in three days time you have to promise me that you will help everyone at the harbor to get to safety. I won't be able to..."

Zhongli nodded.
"Of course. I promise. But what if time is not the answer?"

"Well... I know for a fact that there are three vampires. I remember seeing three of them." I mumbled, tracing the number with my index finger.

"Could that not be the answer?"

"Why would they send us a message if we already know it?"

He agreed once again and sat down.
"Perhaps it would be best if we left these discussions for tomorrow. The negative thoughts may affect our sleep, no?"

I sat beside him and yawned. I was getting quite tired, anyway - but I hoped I would be comfortable sleeping there.

"Yeah, I agree. Where will I sleep?"

Zhongli stood up and gestured for me to follow him.
"Here, I have a closet full of comfortable blankets. If it is suitable for you, you could pick a few and sleep on the couch that we were just on."

"That's fine, thank you." I took a blanket and a pillow and placed them on the couch.

"If you need anything, please do not hesitate to come into my room. Get a good night's rest, you will need it."
He smiled and left me to it.

---

'Y/N, sweetie! Look what I made you! It's your favourite!'

Red. Everywhere.

'See, this part here is from the postman, and that little piece on the right is from that kind lady who sold you the bracelet, don't you remember?'

Her hands...? Why were they so bloody?

'Hehe, I knew you'd like it! Now eat up, otherwise the three men behind me will bite me!'

How could she say that with such a calm tone?

'You... didn't eat it? How could you not? I made it especially for you, darling. You're letting me die? You want me dead?'

The same red liquid drizzled down her neck. Her eyes looked... dull.
'See, this is a clue! A clue that you were the one who killed me. You've killed so many! How could a mother love a killer? Look at yourself~"

The same loving voice with such harsh words.

Why were my hands so red?
Was I really the monster?

---

"Y/N."
I jolted awake, beads of sweat dripping down my face.

Zhongli was kneeling down beside me, wearing a worried expression. I turned to look at his alarm clock.

1:11am

"I had a nightmare."
I told him, furrowing my eyebrows.

He nodded and sat on the couch beside me.
"Yes, as did I. I came to tell you, and you seemed quite... distressed."

"What was your nightmare about?"
I asked as I wiped my forehead with my sleeve.

"I saw Liyue burning, and many people weren't able to escape in time, including you. I truly hope this is just a nightmare, and not a representation of anything..." He sighed and put his hand on my back, again trying to comfort me.

"Mine was my mother again. She was trying to feed me people's blood, and was saying that if I didn't eat it then three men would bite her."

The look on her face brought tears to my eyes before I could comprehend it. Zhongli immediately noticed a tear fall down my cheek and pulled me into an embrace.

"Listen to my heart beating and take deep breaths, everything will be fine. It is still early and you need to get back to sleep." He whispered, beginning to run his fingers through my hair.

I definitely blushed that time - I was not expecting the sudden affection at all.

"I know we've only known each other for a few days, but... I feel a strange connection with you, Zhongli. It's like we have more in common than it seems." I smiled, closing my eyes.

Zhongli let out a quick chuckle and wrapped his arms around me.
"I am here for you, as well as Xiangling and many other people. You can talk to us."

"Yeah. Thank you..."
I pulled away and said goodnight, he went back to his room. Slowly but comfortably, I fell back into a slumber.