• Chapter Two •

"So... let us begin. I shall start by asking you a few questions about your kind, is that suitable for you?"

The fact that Zhongli treated me differently and more seriously after telling him what I am hurt more than it should have. I kind of wished I hadn't told him anything.

"Mm-hm."

He nodded.
"Well, first of all... I need you to prove to me that you aren't lying about being a vampire. It is not that I do not trust you... let's just say I am feeling skeptical, more or less."

"Then... how are you going to- mmpf!"
I quickly shoved my palm over my mouth and squeezed my eyes shut.

Zhongli had pricked his finger with a small pin he had in his pocket, and a dot of blood rose above his skin.
I felt the urge to devour him appear before I could calm down, and I instantly scooted away from him.

"I need you to look at me." He stated, dabbing the blood away with a napkin. I reluctantly opened my eyes; upon making eye contact with the man, another surprised gasp erupted from him.

"How... fascinating..." Zhongli mumbled, peering into my eyes. My eyewhites were blood red, and dark veins were visible underneath.

"They're not fascinating, they're horrible. I can't even go and fight enemies with my friends because this happens whenever I see or smell blood." I admitted with an upset sigh.

For some reason, I thought he would not care about my sadness... but to my surprise, it looked like he felt some sort of pity.

"So, you... do not like vampires, then?"

"They killed my mother and I was on my own for the majority of my life. It's even worse that I had to become one of them, because now every time I wake up I remember I have to hurt somebody and drink their blood."

Zhongli put his hand on my shoulder in an attempt to be reassuring.
"And do you like the taste of blood?"

I subtly licked my lips just thinking about it.
"Of course, it's amazing. I crave it every second of every day, but I hate how I feel after having it. It's like... the guilt of eating something unhealthy when you're supposed to be on a diet, for example."

"Do you want to bite me?"

My heart dropped, until I realized it was a question and he wasn't offering.
"Uh... I did very badly when you bled earlier, but not as much now..."

He lifted his eyebrows.
"Not as much, you say? Every mortal you see you just want to bite?"

"Yes, but I have the strength to tell myself not to-"

"You can bite me if you want."
Zhongli's fingers trailed to his neck, where he pulled at his clothing - revealing his skin.

I gulped and moved a bit further away. I could practically hear his pulse, beating faster and nagging at me to take a bite.
"I can't... contract...!"

"Of course. I was just testing you."
He moved his clothes back in place and stood up off of the ground.
"It's getting late. Usually in the day I listen to the storyteller, the one by Wanmin Restaurant. Have you heard of it?"

I nodded.
"Yes, Iron Tongue Tian?"

"Right. Meet me there every morning and I will continue to help you with your cravings, as well as finding out the identities of the monsters that took away your childhood."

I smiled. A genuine smile. I was so grateful that Xiangling told me to see him, because I finally got a friend that knew everything that happened during my mother's death.

"Okay, will do. Thank you so much, Mr. Zhongli." We parted ways after calling it a night. I returned home afterwards.

---

Once Zhongli got back to his home, he walked over to his neatly organized bookshelf.
"So the vampires are here after all these centuries, hm? In the end they never actually died out..."

He pulled out a book and placed it on the table, while taking off his jacket and hanging it up.
"That poor girl, her life was taken away by these beasts... she could potentially be the key to defeating the other evil ones."

He took a seat and poured himself a cup of tea.
"I will have to ask around tomorrow. I hope she is not lying to me, as I have grown quite a liking for her... if she is not, then my theory is correct. Not all vampires are vicious monsters."