CHAPTER 36

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

The next afternoon I’m nearly ready to walk out the door to meet Yogi at the museum, when the doorbell rings. I recognize the silhouette behind the beveled glass immediately. Meesha. I haven’t seen or spoken to her since our argument. But Lord, I’ve missed her.

      I open the door and throw her a smile. Long, perfectly braided gray pigtails, lavender-painted eyelids, arms crossed, lips puckered. I wouldn’t have expected anything less, nor would I have wanted it.

      “Thanks for coming.” Last night I called her and basically begged her for her help. At first she said no, but I promised her I’d tell her what was going on after today.

      “What? Couldn’t live without some trouble in your life?” I hold out my arms, begging for a hug like a kid who’s been scolded. She doesn’t resist.

      “Sweet thang, I don’t know what you’ve done, what sorts of trouble you got yourself in. But I promised ya I’d take care of ya, and I will. Haven’t stopped thinking about you since that day. I been worried about something happenin’ to ya. Been drivin’ by makin’ sure there wasn’t no ambulances or police cars. You got this grown woman goin’ crazy.”

      “You don’t have to worry about me. But thanks for agreeing to this.”

      “Well, aren’t I just always around at the right time?” she winks.

      Usually I dread car rides after arguing with somebody because I always feel like there’s this weird feeling in the air, like nobody knows what to say first. Luckily, Meesha’s never at a loss for words.

      “So, whatcha been up to, baybeh? Got anything to tell me?"

      I keep my eyes on the street. “I can’t. Yet. It’s for your safety, too. Trust me.”

      “Ya know, I been losin’ a lotta sleep because you don’t wanna trust me. I’m a lady of my word. Trust is huge with me. And you won’t tell me a thing. Obviously there’s somethin’ goin’ on that’s putting you in harm’s way. But if it’s so important that you can’t tell me, then I got no right ta ask, an’ I’m sorry for pushin’ at you like that. But don’t you make me repeat it. Once is all you gonna get from me.”

      “Thanks. I promise I’ll tell you after. I just need to make sure I don’t get anyone else involved. Or hurt until things are sorted out. Okay?”

      “Mm-hmm. Whatever you say, sugah.”

      I can tell she’s still annoyed. She’s biting her tongue and holding back, but only up to a point, because she doesn’t seem to be able to resist adding, “I’mma tell you one thing, though. If I see that crazy lady one more time, you best believe I’mma make her wish she’d never met me. I’m just sayin’.”

      I laugh. “Somehow I think even she knows that.”

      We spend the rest of the drive to the museum catching up and, without telling her too much, I let her in on my plan.

      When she parks the Explorer, I turn to her. “Don’t forget. The park. And not one second after, okay?”

      “You don’t gotta tell me twice. I ain’t deaf. I told ya I got that behind covered.” She plants a sticky kiss on my cheek. “I don’t exactly know what you got planned, but be careful, babycakes. You just promise me that and you can count on me from the moon and back.”