CHAPTER 13

Check out the website: www.thephototravelerbook.com

Buy for $2.99 on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Photo-Traveler-Series-ebook/dp/B00BI4KEQC/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1360886583&sr=8-35

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The next morning, the missed call ringtone on my phone jars me awake before my alarm is supposed to go off, at 7:25. I hate being woken up earlier than I’m supposed to. I’m a pretty heavy sleeper. As it is, I have five alarms set on my phone, each one ten minutes apart. The last one is an app that won’t shut off until I answer a riddle or a short math equation. Usually, that’s the one that does the job.

            I fumble for the phone and pick up a voicemail from a local area code: “Hillstone, this is Mitch Davis from the museum gift shop. I’d like you to come in for an interview today. Please call me by eleven a.m. We have an opening and need to fill it as soon as possible. Thanks.”

            I shoot up in bed as fast as the dad in that board game “Don’t Wake Daddy.” I flip the phone in the air and catch it jubilantly. “Thank you! Thank you!”

            I call back immediately and Mitch answers. He asks me to come in around four forty-five to answer some questions and fill out paperwork. Of course I’ll be there!

            Even though it’s still an hour before my obnoxious alarm clocks will start going off, I’m too excited to go back to bed, so I grab my camera and start scanning the beautiful jewels and specimens from yesterday’s shoot. It’s shaping up to be a pretty good morning after all. Suddenly I don’t mind being woken up early.

            After tucking my camera in my bag and gathering my things for school, I hop downstairs to meet my family for breakfast. All this authentic family time is such a relief. Over eggs and French toast, I tell Estelle and Bud about my job interview.

            “Oh, honey, I’m so proud of you!” she cheers me on.

            “Yeah, but don’t expect me to be paying rent anytime soon!” I joke.

            Bud laughs so hard that his orange juice spurts from his nose. “Deal! But my birthday’s not too far off now, so I’m gonna be expecting a pretty substantial birthday present!”

            “Are you kidding me? Of course! I’ve already established a nursing home fund in your honor,” I snort. Then I glance over at Estelle and add, “Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you, either. I’ll make sure your room’s decorated with dolphins.”

            Our breakfast together is so simple. So normal. And one of the best moments I’ve had in my life. It’s one I’ll file away and remember for always.

* * *

I have to cancel with Mario because of the interview. He’s cool with it and we agree to just meet the next afternoon.

            He’s turned out to be a great guy. A potential good friend... maybe my first best friend. He seems genuinely excited for me and wishes me luck. He’s even offered to drop me off at home after school. I’ve felt bad so I haven’t taken him up on it. But it’s good to know it’s there. I’m not used to this—people actually looking out for me. It’s hard for me to accept, but slowly I’m learning to. And I’m glad. It’s such a more peaceful way to live.

            On the Metro ride over to the museum, I can’t help but feel nervous. I haven’t ever really had a job before. I mean, there was that time I volunteered at the grocery store as a bag boy, but I didn’t even get paid for that. I made some measly tips, but that was it. I shake off my nerves and force myself to hold on to only happy and positive thoughts.