CHAPTER 15

Check out the website: www.thephototravelerbook.com

Buy for $2.99 on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Photo-Traveler-Series-ebook/dp/B00BI4KEQC/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1360886583&sr=8-35

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

When I return from my parents, I run downstairs and holler for Estelle and Bud to meet me at the dining table.

            “Okay, so, I’ve been thinking—”

            “Uh oh!” Bud interrupts. “Sounds like trouble!”

            I give him a playful shove and continue, “I’m planning to travel tonight. But I promise I’ve chosen something low key, with good reason. And I promise I’ll be careful.”

            Estelle and Bud exchange glances of apprehension mixed with curiosity. Then she asks, “Where exactly are you thinking?”

            “The Depression. You know, no witches around back then. I want to see if my parents are there. After they left us that clue in Salem, I went to visit them and my dad mentioned the Great Depression. I think they might be there now.”

             “Listen, I know the idea of finding your parents is big. I just don’t want you to get lost in it,” Bud states with a shrug.

            For a moment, I feel angry at him for even suggesting that I won’t find them, but I make the effort to let it go. I know he’s only saying it because he loves me.

            Estelle cuts in, “But the Great Depression isn’t too bad? What do you think, honey? That sounds pretty innocent to me.”

            He forces out a smile. “I think it’ll be dangerous. He can get himself into trouble there.” I know why he’s insisting I shouldn’t go. He’s probably right, especially after the Trials fiasco. But Estelle doesn’t know. And nothing’s going to stop me from finding my parents, so I’m using that to my advantage.

            “You know what? I think that’ll be a good one for you. You should go for it.” she adds.

            “Great!” I shout, slamming my palms against the dinner table. “So it’s done. The Great Depression it is.”

            Bud grabs my arm before I’m able to cut out. “I think we should talk about this some more.”

            Estelle slaps his shoulder softly, “Oh what’s your problem? Let the boy go. It’s his abilities too. And his parents.”

            He sighs, defeated. He throws me a glance and I hear everything he’s saying without him having to murmur a word. Be. Careful.

            “I’ll take care of myself. I promise.” I say it for both to hear, but stare only at him as I say it.

            Estelle hugs me. “Good luck, sweetie,” she whispers in my ear. I know that deep down inside she’s praying that I’ll be successful. Maybe the hope of ever seeing her son again is long gone, but to know that they didn’t die in the fire... I’m sure it keeps her up at night.

            Bud asks me to hold on while he wanders off to the kitchen and collects a medium-sized silver tin box from one of the cabinets.  He removes the lid and pulls a rolled-up bundle from inside.