Part 57

Alberu sat next to Roksu, his eyes moving to the expansive sky above as the pair shared a pensive silence. There was a planter in Roksu's lap, a gnarled and twisted tree painted black with a disgusting substance in its final resting place.

Neither of them really had the words for it.

It was over.

But it hadn't ended without its costs.

"...sometimes I think about when we first met."

Roksu looked towards the crown prince, curious as to where he was going with this.

"It was a chaotic time but you never needed much of an explanation. I remember thinking it was strange that such a small kid could grasp the situation so quickly and even come up with a plan." Alberu laughed and turned to look at Roksu. "Although I suppose you weren't really a kid."

Roksu looked at Alberu. Really looked at him. The male lead from the shitty romance novel that he'd read all those years ago. His friend and his family. A person who was easy to talk to because of how similar they were and fun to tease with how different they were.

It was amazing how his perception of Alberu had changed over the years.

"I remember thinking 'huh, so this is what he looks like'." Roksu wore a crooked smile all his own as he looked back to the sky. "I'd only read descriptions of you before. I knew you'd be manipulative but ultimately good-hearted. Though I didn't really want to get involved with you."

It was a surprising admission from Roksu so Alberu listened. Perhaps this was his way of apologizing for having Alberu help with that. Or maybe it was just time. There was no point in trying to hide secrets that had already been exposed.

Roksu had neither the energy nor inclination to bother with such a pointless act.

"You never intend to get involved with any of this." Alberu remarked, a laugh hidden in his words.

"I know... it really isn't fair." Roksu slumped with a sigh. "All I wanna do is live as a slacker and I've gotten myself tangled up with all sorts of troublesome people."

Poor bastard would probably stick his neck out again too. Alberu patted his shoulder pittingly.

"At least you can rest now." Alberu gestured towards the potted plant with his chin.

Roksu's silence was telling. There was something else he wasn't saying. "...yeah."

Alberu didn't like how pale and frail Roksu looked. More so than he ever had before, Roksu looked fragile. Which was saying something considering the number of wretched states he'd seen this troublemaker in.

"What can I do to help?"

Roksu let out a laughing little scoff but he thought the question over seriously.

Alberu might have been a disappointing protagonist from a readers perspective but he was a treasured and reliable friend who understood things quickly. He'd be useful.

But for now, the plant in Roksu's lap was proof that Alberu had done more than enough. It was a nice sort of poetic symmetry to know that in some small way, one of the original protagonists from the novel was able to put an end to the villain. Although Roksu would have preferred a method that didn't darken the light in Alberu's eyes.

He'd come up with a way to make it up to Alberu and Tasha.

"I'll let you know."

Family breakfast.

It was a Henituse family tradition that no matter how busy the rest of the day was, they would all make time for one another to eat the first meal together. The tradition had become somewhat stuttered due to recent events but with Roksu's health improving and the elimination of all apparent immediate danger there was no reason for the tradition to wait a moment longer.