Part 48

Roksu's head rested against his shoulder as he yawned. "That took forever..."

Choi Han smiled warmly down on him, brushing a hair from his face mindlessly. "You worked hard." He congratulated with a voice full of affection and gentility.

"Damn straight." Roksu cursed. "I deserve a vacation."

"You do." Choi Han consoled him sweetly. "Should I postpone our departure?"

Roksu waved him off halfheartedly. "Nah, this can't wait. I'm fine."

"You're always fine." Choi Han chided softly. "I'd like for you to strive for something better than fine, Roksu-nim."

"You worry too much."

Hours of negotiations with various individuals, gathering up information, and preparing for this stupid quest had all led Roksu Henituse to only the briefest of breaks for dinner before they were set to depart.

Of course, they still needed to wait just a minute for dinner to arrive and he'd naturally taken the opportunity to complain to Choi Han about his day.

Tea dripped from the corner of Cale's mouth.

'What the hell am I looking at?'

Choi Han spared a moment to lovingly place a quilt over Roksu's shoulders, earning him one of Roksu's rare smiles while the children climbed up to relax in their laps.

With shaking pupils, Cale looked over to Alberu who was pointedly looking just about everywhere but Cale. As though he knew what Cale wanted to ask him.

As though he already knew about this.

With quiet grace and poise, Cale brought a handkerchief to his chin to clean the tea. The dragon's words from the chaotic call resounded in his head as he watched as Roksu absently patted Raon's head and closed his eyes, nuzzling into his spot against Choi Han.

'Since when?!'

Cale could admit he'd been preoccupied with his own love life and various responsibilities but–but–not so preoccupied as to miss this?! Surely not?!

Wouldn't Roksu have told him?!

Well, no, Roksu wouldn't tell him.

But Choi Han?! Of all people?! The shady swordsman he met when he was four?! Well, not actually four mentally, but Choi Han didn't know that and that made it so much worse.

No.

He couldn't be seeing what he was seeing.

Roksu surely didn't have such poor tastes. Not that dirty, grimy, obnoxious swordsman who didn't know the first thing about anything. He was an idiot! Head empty! A lousy punk!

He definitely wasn't good enough for Cale's little brother.

...and exactly how long and how much had Alberu known? Oh, he was going to have words with him.

Cale stood up. Alberu flinched when he did but made no effort to stop him.

"Excuse me." He said gently, standing in front of the affectionate pair. With one smooth movement he'd pushed a surprised Choi Han further down the couch and plopped himself down between them.

Roksu, who had been half asleep, blinked at his elder brother in confusion. Choi Han seemed to have some idea why this was happening and averted his gaze with flushed cheeks.

Cale really hated that guy.

"...hyung-nim?" Roksu asked, confusion knitting up his expression.

Cale smiled down at him with perfect poised nobility. "Yes, dongsaeng?"