Part 27

Ron had been at Roksu's side. Keeping him safe as per young master Cale's explicit instructions.

Ron was the sort of person who wouldn't have missed an assasination plot, had he been nearby.

Ron was the sort of person who could have kept Cale safe, silently dispatched of the assassins before the first arrow flew through the air.

And yet, knowing that he was going to the location of a future terror attack, Cale had gone without Ron.

Stood at the side of a high profile target and even jumped in front of oncoming death like a fool.

Cale, who never did let up about how reckless Roksu was.

Cale, who never failed to remind Roksu that he had a family to come home to. That he needed to prioritize his health to live a slacker life.

Cale, who went out of his way to check in on Roksu, just to make sure he was safe. Who sometimes trembled alone when he thought Roksu couldn't see.

Cale, who feared losing his family like nothing else in this world and protected them with such a determination that it seemed almost impossible to consider him not being there.

Cale was an idiot.

A stupid overprotective idiot who didn't recognize what a ridiculous and stupid hypocrite he truly was. A buffoon who never really understood his own value.

Ron should have been at Cale's side.

Roksu wasn't in danger. He had Choi Han and a mighty dragon clinging to him ever since the terror incident. Not to mention, he wasn't supposed to be in the plaza like Cale was.

He was still at the plaza though.

There was no way he couldn't go when Cale was there.

A covert and short visit was what he'd managed to convince Ron of. Just to observe the situation and assess that there really was no danger to Cale.

Roksu wasn't in any danger. Why wasn't Ron at his side instead?

Why did he have to watch as arrow after arrow pierced his hyungs body?

Why did he have to watch as Cale collapsed, coughing up blood and barely breathing?

Why when it was totally preventable?

Why did Cale have to be such a stupid selfless bastard and protect the Crown Prince?

Why didn't Cale just stay safe–stay out of danger–stay away from Alberu–anything–

It wasn't that he wanted Alberu to suffer. He didn't. He didn't want to see either of them like that.

He never wanted to see the people he loved like that.

Why–why–had Cale, the same bastard who never let up about avoiding risks, the same bastard who never let Roksu feel alone, why had he done something so stupid and reckless?

Why was he bleeding out in Alberu's arms while the entire plaza moved with yelling and screaming. Why was Roksu rooted in place, even as the assassins were dispatched and the only danger that remained was the fading health of young master Cale Henituse who'd taken every single arrow?

Why was it when he finally moved, his feet echoing painfully beneath him and his throat ragged with an unspoken cry for his hyung, why was it that he felt so young and helpless in just that moment?

Powerless.

Thoughts of attending another funeral. Of standing as still as death while mourner after mourner greeted him with hollow condolences.